[Marxism] Bolton: Israel 'will attack Iran' before new USpresident in office, especially if it's Obama

S. Artesian sartesian at earthlink.net
Fri Jun 27 08:48:52 MDT 2008

I am not going to engage in further argument on this on list. However, I
think it is important that we actually READ the text if the resolution as it
was introduced.  So here, clipped, is the nitty gritty:
----------------

Whereas nothing in this resolution shall be construed as an authorization of
the use of force against Iran : Now, therefore, be it

  Resolved by the House of Representatives (the Senate concurring), That
Congress--

    (1) declares that preventing Iran from acquiring a nuclear weapons
capability, through all appropriate economic, political, and diplomatic
means, is vital to the national security interests of the United States and
must be dealt with urgently;

    (2) urges the President, in the strongest of terms, to immediately use
his existing authority to impose sanctions on--

      (A) the Central Bank of Iran and any other Iranian bank engaged in
proliferation activities or the support of terrorist groups;

      (B) international banks which continue to conduct financial
transactions with proscribed Iranian banks;

      (C) energy companies that have invested $20,000,000 or more in the
Iranian petroleum or natural gas sector in any given year since the
enactment of the Iran Sanctions Act of 1996; and

      (D) all companies which continue to do business with Iran's Islamic
Revolutionary Guard Corps;

    (3) demands that the President initiate an international effort to
immediately and dramatically increase the economic, political, and
diplomatic pressure on Iran to verifiably suspend its nuclear enrichment
activities by, inter alia, prohibiting the export to Iran of all refined
petroleum products; imposing stringent inspection requirements on all
persons, vehicles, ships, planes, trains, and cargo entering or departing
Iran ; and prohibiting the international movement of all Iranian officials
not involved in negotiating the suspension of Iran's nuclear program; and

    (4) urges the President to lead a sustained, serious, and forceful
effort at regional diplomacy to support the legitimate governments in the
region against Iranian efforts to destabilize them, to reassure our friends
and allies that the United States supports them in their resistance to
Iranian efforts at hegemony, and to make clear to the Government of Iran
that the United States will protect America's vital national security
interests in the Middle East.
Full at:
http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/D?c110:4:./temp/~c110twWGY7::

So we get one sentence saying nothing should be construed as authorizing
force followed 8 paragraphs supporting the undertaking of acts of war, and
utilizing language that is clearly aimed at threatening Iran's existence.

You make the call.