[Marxism] The Big Bang Theory

Mark Lause markalause at gmail.com
Fri Jun 27 12:14:01 MDT 2008

steve houston <stevehouston3000 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> C'mon..by definition there can't be two UNIverses.  If we find out its bigger or vaster than we thought, then its a bigger, vaster place (or maybe some more existential concept than place) than we thought.  Its not TWO universes "colliding" with each other or whatever other kook science some Trekkie dreams up.
>
> Maybe you think that's semantics but if so, then philosophy didn't die with Hegel after all.  And, yes, I mean that in a bad way.

I'm wondering what sort of scientific understanding is at work here,
because this kind of rhetorically mocking dismissiveness smacks of how
the Fundies talk about evolution.

The idea of two...many...universes aren't some "kook science some
Trekkie dreams up."    It is not experimentally verifiable, but it
comes out of reasoned extrapolation of the same math behind
superstring theory, M-theory, etc.

But who needs to hear all this abstract shit, right?  When, instead,
we can just get down in the driveway and rub gravel in our hair.

ML