[Marxism] The Big Bang Theory

Paul Gallagher pgallagher4 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 27 19:20:23 MDT 2008

Why do you think what you quote puts the Big Bang in doubt, or that alternatives
to the Big Bang are being presented?

The Big Bang - the idea of an expanding universe - is well supported by many
kinds of evidence. This gives rise to many open questions, such as why
the universe
seems flat, homogenous, and isotropic, and why there are large scale
structures in the
universe. Guth proposed early cosmic inflation resulting from negative-pressure
vacuum energy to account for these features or apparent features of
the universe.
What's in dispute here is this early rapid expansion of the universe -
cosmic inflation -
and that is where rival models employing string theory and branes
enter. Expansion itself -
the Big Bang - is not in dispute.