[Marxism] Economic impact of $200 per barrel oil

Walter Lippmann walterlx at earthlink.net
Sat Jun 28 08:03:26 MDT 2008

What are people on this list doing about this phenomenon?

I've found that traveling by train helps a great deal as
it's far cheaper than driving an automobile. I've taken
the train more and more, when possible, as it is since
I'm retired and time is less of a factor. It's also both
cheaper and easier on my nerves, since I can sit an read
on a train which isn't possible while driving. A book is
great company, I've found. I've recently taken a train
from Vancouver, B.C. to Seattle, Washington, which took
under four hours and cost me $39.00 (including a small
discount since I'm over age 62) and the ride couldn't
have been more pleasant. One can talk to other people
about whatever and get to the next destination with a
sense of relaxation after NOT having to drive a car.

>From here I've another stop another 4-5 hours from
here in Oregon, and then it'll be on to Berkeley for
another stop before heading home to Los Angeles where
I've begun to take the bus and metro rail systems as
often as that is practical, while retaining my car
for convenience. I've not considered getting rid of
my ten-year old car as it only has 65,000 miles on it.

Walter Lippmann
Washington State

     "Cuba - Un Paraíso bajo el bloqueo"