[Marxism] Mining, Poverty and Politics in the Democratic Republic of Congo

Dbachmozart at aol.com Dbachmozart at aol.com
Mon Jun 30 12:59:08 MDT 2008

A Glittering Demon: Mining, Poverty and Politics in the  Democratic Republic
of Congoby Michael  Deibert, Special to CorpWatch
June 26th,  2008
In the heart of the war-scarred Ituri region in northeastern Congo, some 200
mud-covered men pan for traces of gold in the muddy brown waters.
Working for the Congolese owners of Manyida camp, the miners are  following a
map of the site made by the Belgians, the country’s former colonial  rulers.
“It’s very difficult, punishing work,” says Adamo Bedijo, a 32 year-old
university graduate from the central city of Kisangani. “We are not paid, we
work until we hit the vein of gold and hope that will pay us…The government has
abandoned us, so I am forced to endure all this suffering.”
Bedijo is one of Ituri’s estimated 70,000 artisanal miners, some of  whom are
former employees of state mining concerns that collapsed during the  country’
s long-running civil war. Two years after the first democratic elections  in
40 years, informal arrangements such as Manyida are operating alongside the
many foreign multinationals rushing in to tap the Democratic Republic of Congo’s
 (DRC) extensive mineral resources.
The way foreign multinationals have gained entry into Congo, and the
business methods they use, raise significant questions for a nation at historic
crossroads. Will the DRC move forward to become more responsive to its nearly 67
million people scattered across an area as large as Western Europe, or will
the  tradition of rape-as-governance continue?
full article  --

_http://www.corpwatch.org/article.php?id=15118_
(http://www.corpwatch.org/article.php?id=15118)