[Marxism] More liberal wisdom on oil

S. Artesian sartesian at earthlink.net
Mon Jun 30 17:56:17 MDT 2008

One more thing, we really need to look at regarding iron ore prices is---
shipping costs.  Baltic Dry Index, after tumbling in November is above
previous record highs-- shipping costs are approaching 30-40% of the price
of the commodity for certain bulk shipments. That was part of the reason I
posted the reference to the FT article on P&G whose transportation costs now
exceed factory operating costs.

I am not certain, but I think shipping costs are paid up front by the ore
producers.  Would appreciate it if anybody has confirmation (or the
opposite).

But.....dry bulk shipping  tonnage under construction and scheduled to
become operational in the next 3 years is also at a record level, and
despite my record at prediction (Carter will beat Reagan, Yankees in 7 over
Arizona) I will hazard a guess that there is going to be a big, big
recession and prices for shipping and basic commodities will tumble.  And
Carter will beat Reagan.