[Marxism] IMF economist: US is becoming a banana republic

Dbachmozart at aol.com Dbachmozart at aol.com
Wed Apr 1 07:35:51 MDT 2009

Tuesday, March 31, 2009 08:18 PDT
_Simon Johnson's crusade against the oligarchs of Wall  Street_
(http://www.salon.com/tech/htww/2009/03/31/the_imf_and_the_quiet_coup/index.html)

Few magazine articles in recent memory have excited as much
econo-blogospheric commentary as former International Monetary Fund chief  economist Simon
Johnson's _"The Quiet Coup."_ (http://www.theatlantic.com/doc/200905/imf-advice)
For good reason: Johnson's  elucidation of how four decades of deregulatory
ideology placed the interests of  Wall Street "oligarchs" above the interests
of the general public is magisterial  and convincing.
One can argue with his conviction that the Obama administration represents
nothing more than a seamless continuation of such policies. Even Johnson, whose
 views are now being showcased in a spectacular variety of media outlets, has
 conceded in recent weeks that, in comparison with Europe, the U.S. is taking
 much more aggressive action to confront the global economic mess. In _a Wall
Street Journal Op-Ed piece published  Tuesday,_
(http://blogs.wsj.com/economics/2009/03/31/guest-contribution-the-real-geithner-plan-a-nuclear-option/)
Johnson also acknowledges that the White House's request for  new authority to
regulate bank holding companies and other financial  institutions capable of
threatening "systemic risk" would give the Treasury  Department the tools
necessary to do exactly what he has long been recommending:  "walk into America's
largest financial institutions, such as Citibank or Bank of  America, and
liquidate them."
Would Tim Geithner use such powers if he gets them? We don't know, but
critics like Johnson and Paul Krugman serve a vital role in keeping the pressure
on. There's no question: Breaking the back of the oligarchs who wrested control
 of the global economy's commanding heights and then wrecked it almost beyond
 repair is job No. 1, and aside from Krugman, no one has pushed the necessity
for  strong action harder or with more visibility than Johnson.
The central narrative gambit of "The Quiet Coup" is simple: The United States
 is unwilling to take the same harsh medicine it would prescribe to a
developing  nation that exhibited the same critical problem: domination of the
political  process by self-interested economic elites. But there is more than a
little  irony involved with the fact that this advice is coming from a former IMF
chief economist. A great many people on the left who are applauding Johnson
seem to have forgotten just how critical the IMF was in spreading exactly the
kind of economic policies that helped secure Wall Street's absolute sway over
 global markets. Doesn't anyone remember _"the Washington Consensus"_
(http://www.salon.com/tech/htww/2006/01/06/washington_consensus/)  -- the belief that
 deregulation, privatization and trade liberalization were the holy writ for
all  developing nations? The IMF was one of the primary proseletyzers and
implementers of this vision. If your economy got into trouble, the IMF would
help you out, but only after requiring "structural adjustments" that often
caused significant hardship.
The result, particularly after the Asian financial crisis of the late '90s,
was a massive rejection of IMF help by developing nations, particularly in
East  Asia and South America. If you're looking for reasons why so many countries
in  South America have turned sharply to the left, it is partially due to the
pain  caused by following IMF advice. If you want to know why China and other
East  Asian nations have built up huge reserves of foreign dollars, creating
global  imbalances that contributed to the creation of today's economic
crisis, it is  precisely because they wanted to avoid ever again being forced to
come, hat in  hand, to the IMF. As the Wall Street Journal notes on Tuesday, in
_"An Empowered IMF Faces Pivotal  Test,"_
(http://online.wsj.com/article/SB123845771243271677.html)  "where once the IMF demanded that borrowers dramatically
 remake their economies, the IMF is now taking a softer stance, and attaching
few  restrictions to its massive loans." This is not out of the goodness of
its  heart, but because few developing nations are willing to accept the
conditions  that the IMF once required.
Harvard economist Dani Rodrik, the always dependable contrarian, has been
practically _the lone voice to point this  out:_
(http://rodrik.typepad.com/dani_rodriks_weblog/2009/03/simon-johnsons-morality-tale.html)