[Marxism] YADL (Yet another disillusioned liberal)

Mark Lause markalause at gmail.com
Wed Apr 1 19:57:52 MDT 2009

Joaquin Bustelo <jbustelo at gmail.com> wrote:

> I think S Artesian has hit the nail on the head here -- unwittingly -- by
> placing the focus on the struggles by workers for concessions and reforms
> from the bourgeoisie.
>
> There are no such struggles/movements in the United States, not on a scale
> involving at least a sliver of the masses. So the question isn't really why
> support a narrow, limited, bourgeois reform INSTEAD of a class movement
> fighting for much more. Those sorts of movements are PRECISELY what we don't
> have.

This argument makes me wince, largely because there's more truth to
Joaquin's argument than I want to admit.  I don't think "class" is
outmoded or that race is any more effective in cultivating a movement
consciousness.  I'm astounded that, with all the jolts, the people
remain pretty complacent.

Faith that Washington can do something effective seems to be sustaining them.

The Obama administration has, indeed, tried nothing that's reached
beyond the realm of Bush or Clinton.  And the solutions that didn't
work for them won't work any better for him.  For this reason--more
than the nonexistent demonstrations of millions of angry workers--he
will likely have to reach beyond to sustain what he can of that faith
that keeps the masses relatively quiet.

ML