[Marxism] YADL (Yet another disillusioned liberal)

Mark Lause markalause at gmail.com
Wed Apr 1 22:01:03 MDT 2009

S. Artesian <sartesian at earthlink.net> wrote:

> Wait, I thought there was supposed to be some sort of movement around Obama,
> not that I ever argued that.  I thought there were masses absolutely
> reanimated,  enthused about the prospects for taking action, not that I ever
> argued that.  I thought there was supposed to be a way, "we" could link with
> those enthusiastic moving masses as long as we weren't too "critical" too
> belligerent in our  Marxism, in our opposition to the soft and fuzzy era of
> good feelings, not that I ever argued that...

Setting aside the straw-stuffed "absolutely," the enthusiasm of Obama
supporters was real enough, but I don't think that enthusiasm for a
capitalist politician constitutes a "movement."  At the same time, I
don't think it's so simple as to see that as precluding a movement or
preventing a movement.  The dissipation of those aspirations and
enthusiasms are capable of fueling a movement that will reach far
beyond our experience, but we'll have to see....

However, we're not the only ones that understand this process.  Obama
and his people have to produce results to maintain the approval of
that base.  As I've said repeatedly, what they're doing now just isn't
going to cut it, but I suspect they won't move in the direction of any
real innovations until they absolutely have to start doing so...

ML