[Marxism] NASCO shipyard and communists.

nada dwaltersMIA at gmail.com
Thu Apr 2 11:44:53 MDT 2009

Tod, there was a problem with the CWP. But first where I agree...yes,
the managed an 'turn to industry' often better than other groups. Most
groups managed it better, for that matter. Even the Spartacist League
did better, IMO, than the group-whose-name-shall-remain-unspoken-here.

No one has written much on this in terms of left work in the unions. You
have to gleam it from either first hand knowledge or what people have
told you. The IS did excellent work in the Teamsters. The CP did some
good work in steel. You can go around and around. What stood out with
the CWP's work, *post-Greensboro* was their effective union organizing
in shipyards. And even here it was relatively easy for the FBI to set
them up with conspiracy to blow up a ship.

The problem is that prior to Greensboro, the CWP were raving
ultra-lefts. Even with good union work they were f'ing crazy at times,
the Greensboro affair being he apogee of this. It's also not true that
the "left" didn't show solidarity with the CWP. After the CWP calmed
down, we were able to build a mass march in solidarity with them after
the incident, or don't you remember that? I was there, as were about
10,000 others or more. The problem was that the CWP actually wanted to
bring guns to the rally as if they hadn't already demonstrated their
incompetence with fire arms already, it would only be a huge
provocation. The CWP, finally, was talked out of it and I think them for
this.

Greensboro had an interesting effect on the CWP, especially as the other
sectors of the left, including *TROTSKYITES!!!* came to their defense.
They became somewhat less sectarian.

David