[Marxism] Waiting for Gobama

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Thu Apr 2 14:15:16 MDT 2009

Joaquin Bustelo wrote:
> Basically the explanation is the tremendously privileged position of the
> U.S. working class and population generally in relation to that of working
> people in the Third World.

It is not that simple. I don't think that American workers are that much
more privileged than French workers but they are raising all kinds of
hell and are backing the new anti-capitalist party massively.

I think that Joaquin is on the right track by looking at privilege, but
there is not an unmediated relationship between wages and consciousness.
In the 1970s 1980s, two of the most militant oppositions to neoliberal
changes in the economy came from independent truck drivers and airline
controllers, who were mostly white. The truck drivers recruited antiwar
students from UCLA to form picket lines on their behalf while going out
to snipe at scab trucks on the Interstate. Meanwhile, it was a common
occurrence for the airline controllers to speak at Militant Labor
Forums. I think that if a sane left existed in this period, we could
have built something like the French anticapitalist party. But we were
insane at the time. This time around, let's fight for sanity in the
revolutionary movement.