[Marxism] Israeli soldiers’ T-shirts reveal the country’s ruthless state of mind

Dbachmozart at aol.com Dbachmozart at aol.com
Fri Apr 3 07:31:29 MDT 2009

PAJU (Palestinian and Jewish Unity) # 425, April 3,  2009
‘Dead babies, bombed mosques’
Israeli soldiers’ T-shirts reveal the country’s ruthless state  of mind

The Israeli newspaper Ha’aretz created a storm of controversy recently when
it revealed that Israeli soldiers were designing, buying and wearing T-shirts
such as the following :
    *   A sharpshooter's T-shirt shows a pregnant Palestinian woman with a
bull's-eye superimposed on her belly, with the slogan, "1 shot, 2 kills."
    *   A T-shirt for infantry snipers bears the inscription "Better use
Durex,"  next to a picture of a dead Palestinian baby, with his weeping mother and
a  teddy bear beside him.
    *   The Lavi battalion produced a shirt featuring a drawing of a soldier
next  to a young woman with bruises, and the slogan, "Bet you got raped!"
    *   The Haruv battalion printed T-shirts declaring, "We won't chill 'til
we  confirm the kill". "Confirming the kill" means shooting a bullet into an
enemy victim's head from  close range – a practice the army claims doesn't
exist.  A shirt has an image of a child with the slogan "Smaller - harder!", a
reference to the difficulty of hitting smaller targets from a distance.  A
shirt for soldiers of the Lavi battalion, who spent three years in the  West
Bank, reads: "We came, we saw, we destroyed!" - alongside images of  weapons, an
angry soldier and a Palestinian village with a ruined mosque in  the center.
Some sniper T-shirts have featured  a drawing of a Palestinian boy - not a
terrorist - with  the slogan 'Don't bother running because you'll die tired'.
There is a Golani infantry brigade T-shirt of a soldier raping a girl, and
underneath it says, 'No virgins, no terror attacks.'
Why are such pictures and slogans so popular? Israeli sociologist Dr. Orna
Sasson-Levy said  that this revolting phenomenon is "part of a radicalization
process the entire  country is undergoing… There is a perception that the
Palestinian is not a  person, a human being entitled to basic rights, and therefore
anything may be  done to him."
Adapted from "Dead Palestinian babies and bombed mosques - IDF  fashion
2009", by Israeli journalist Uri Blau, printed in Israel’s leading  newspaper Ha’
aretz on March 20, 2009. Full text at :
_http://www.haaretz.com/hasen/spages/1072466.html_ (http://www.haaretz.com/hasen/spages/1072466.html)
Distributed  by PAJU (Palestinian and Jewish Unity)
_WWW.PAJUMONTREAL.ORG_ (http://www.pajumontreal.org/)
**************Eat Great & Lose Weight FASTER! Start the South Beach Diet
Online FREE!
(http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1221394870x1201432948/aol?redir=http:%2F%2Fad.doubleclick.net%2Fclk%3B213623126%3B35100424%3Bk)