[Marxism] Mass murder at immigrant rights center

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Fri Apr 3 13:13:58 MDT 2009

NY Times, April 4, 2009
At Least 12 Slain in Binghamton, N.Y.
By MITCHELL L. BLUMENTHAL and LIZ ROBBINS

Twelve or 13 people were killed when a gunman opened fire in an
immigration services center in Binghamton, N.Y., Gov. David A. Paterson
said Friday.

"While the situation is still developing and details are being gathered,
we do know that a gunman entered the American Civic Association in
Binghamton this morning and that there are fatalities,” Governor
Paterson said in a statement Friday afternoon. “We are monitoring the
situation, and I have directed the State Police to assist the Binghamton
Police Department in any way they can.”

The gunman, described as a man in his 20s, had a high-powered rifle,
Mayor Matthew Ryan of Binghamton told The Binghamton Press & Sun
Bulletin. NBC News quoted law enforcement sources saying that several
weapons were recovered from the scene.

According to several news reports, the police said the gunman shot and
killed himself and may be among the count of 12 or 13 dead.

The Associated Press quoted a local official as saying that the gunman
barricaded the rear door of the association building with his car before
entering through the front door, firing his weapon.

The newspaper’s web site quoted the police there as saying that about 40
hostages were initially in the building. Shortly after noon, about 10
people were released from the building, the reports said, and about 40
minutes later another 10 were released.

The Binghamton Police Department declined to provide details of the
shootings, as officers and members of local SWAT teams surrounded the
building, situated on a mixed commercial and residential strip on the
west bank of the Chenango River near the center of the city.

Binghamton High School, around the corner from the scene of the
shootings, was locked down, and nearby apartment buildings were being
evacuated, according to the newspaper. It quoted the mayor of
Binghamton, Matthew Ryan, as saying the gunman had a high-powered rifle.

The mayor scheduled a news conference at 4 p.m. Eastern time to brief
reporters about the situation.

The association describes itself on its Web site an organization that
aids immigrants and refugees.

Maryam Weisser, a vice president of the civic association, said in a
telephone interview that she was not sure how many people were killed,
though she knew that the group’s secretary and a case worker were in the
building and that classes in English as a second language were going on
at the time of the shooting.

“This is the friendliest, nicest place to be,” Ms. Weisser, a volunteer
from Vestal, N.Y., said. “This is a community where we help with any
immigrant issue, with citizenship and translation.”