[Marxism] Analysis of the G20 Summit

peripatetic barmy_basket at yahoo.es
Fri Apr 3 14:10:43 MDT 2009

I respectfully disagree (US$ is doomed beyond any hope, and then all the
fireworks in the bag will get off; mass action will be just a
consequence), and I paste below two clips from the latest commentaries
by Bill Bonner on The Daily Reckoning (an e-zine between the FT and the
Onion, which I find quite brilliant -
http://www.dailyreckoning.com/author/bbonner/  ):

" ...It's all very well for the capitalists to make money, he will
discover, but when they begin to lose it, well government has to step in
and bail them out. The "creative" part of capitalism is fine...but spare
us the destruction, okay.

....Yesterday, the heads of state of the world's 20 leading countries
decided to put more muscle into their efforts to stop capitalism's
downswing. Notably, they decided to treble the budget of the IMF. In
all, today's International Herald Tribune tells us it's a "One Trillion
Dollar Deal."

Gordon Brown pronounced it a "New World Order," which sounds a lot like
what George Bush I was aiming for 15 years ago. One world government.
One multi-national police force. Harmonized tax collection. (No more tax
havens...nowhere to run...nowhere to hide...) Keep the masses happy with
bread and circuses...and "wars" against imaginary and unnecessary
enemies. (The War on Terror and now - the War on Depression.)

Hey, maybe we'll all have to speak Esperanto, too...

But at least now the IMF will be about to bailout more bankrupt
governments before it goes broke itself.

Most of the money is coming from a country that doesn't have any: the U.S.A.

Look up. What do you see? Why, it's our Dollar Crash Flag. The dollar's
days are numbered. What's the number? We don't know. But whatever it was
a week ago, it is a smaller number now.

Yesterday, the dollar gave up a little ground. The euro rose to $1.24.
Oil went up to $52. Gold, however, fell hard - down to $904. Gold
stocks, on the other hand, did rather well.

Hugo Chavez was in the Mideast this week at a meeting of oil producers.
He called for a new petro-currency...which, we suppose, is a currency
backed by oil. The Associated Press:

"Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez sought Arab support Tuesday for a
proposed oil-backed currency to challenge the U.S. dollar in his latest
swipe at Washington's dominance in global financial affairs."

He probably won't get very far with that. But he's not the only one
looking for a solution to a crisis that hasn't happened yet.

The dollar's been king of the monetary mountain for a long time. But it
had better be careful...watch it's back ...give a little of the food to
a dog before eating it itself. Rivals are plotting against it. Much of
the world wants to dethrone "King Dollar," says the French financial
journal, La Tribune. China has already called for a new reserve currency
based on IMF Special Drawing Rights. What's more, it's worked out
bilateral agreements with many of its neighbors to swap goods, rather
than use the dollar as a common unit of exchange. This week, it went
further afield, making a deal with Argentina. This is the first deal of
its kind in the Latin American world. But it's probably not the last.
People see trouble coming with the greenback. They don't want it to hurt
their sales of raw materials to China.

The Russians, too, have called for a new reserve currency. They, like
the Arabs and Chavez, are sellers of raw materials. They don't want to
get stuck with dollars that are losing their value.

That's the real New World Order...the United States will find it harder
to stay in the driver's seat of this bus...and the U.S. currency will no
longer give Americans an automatic ticket to the first class section..."

"...Who can save capitalism? The communists!

"Market forces, if left unchecked, will lead to asset bubbles and
ultimately a disastrous market clearing in the form of a financial
crisis like the current one," says a report from the Chinese central bank.

Everyone wants to be Chinese. Because the Chinese have money. And
because they don't have free markets. It is widely believed that the
Middle Kingdom can more effectively fight a downturn without democratic,
consensus-driven institutions staying its hand.

But here is where we gasp for air. What theory holds that central
planning - whether by Chinese communists or American Democrats - can do
a better job of allocating capital than the people who own it?

There is none. That is why the world's leaders - and most of its
economists too - permit themselves a luscious fib; they say they don't
need theory at all. "Pragmatism" was the word on every pair of lips in
London this week. Free from chains to dead economists, they say they
will try "whatever works." Oh, the loveable lunkheads! Naïve enough to
believe anything; receptive as a trashcan. "Pragmatism" in economics is
as phony as the men who preach it. Every one of them has a dog-eared
copy of Keynes' General Theory of Employment, Interest and Money in his
briefcase and an ace up his sleeve. And every supposedly new, pragmatic
idea they come up with is merely a version of the same quack cures that
kept the economy in the hospital last time.

Perhaps you can paint a bridge pragmatically. If you don't like the
color, you can change it quickly. But if you're building a bridge, an
airplane or an economic system, you can't make it up as you go along.
You have to have an idea of how it works before you start. Besides,
results from fiscal, monetary and regulatory policies don't happen
overnight. The feedback loop takes years. It took the Bolsheviks seven
decades before they realized they'd been had. Friedman's critique of
America's Great Depression policies didn't appear until 30 years after
the event. In Japan, they still don't know what they did wrong. And by
the time the feds catch on this time, they will have turned an ordinary
depression into a great one.

Enjoy your weekend,..."

webabuser.blogspot.com