[Marxism] CPRF vs the Young Guards of United Russia (Saint Petersburg, April 4)

Thomas Campbell avvakum at gmail.com
Sat Apr 4 10:29:49 MDT 2009

By way of a sequel to the thread that Joonas launched about the Nashi
("Putin Jugend") movement in Russia, I thought that some of you might
find the following video interesting:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7VR2Pt1M8cc

Here you'll see an attempted provocation by a dozen or so members of
the Young Guards of United Russia at today's CPRF-led "anti-crisis"
demo, on Lenin Square in Saint Petersburg. One of the provocateurs
holds up a sign that reads "Communism is the Plague of Russia," and
that's when all hell breaks loose. A crowd of old ladies, elderly
gentlemen, and a few young people make short work of the Putinoids.
I'm not a huge fan of the CPRF (because of the nationalism and
anti-Semitism that plagues their ranks), but in this case all I can
say is "Molodtsy!" ("Way to go!").

This demo was one of several held in Russia today. The principal
demand is the immediate resignation of the government, led by Prime
Minister Putin.

Towards the end of the video you'll catch a glimpse of the famous
Lenin monument after the April 1st bomb blast. It's been turned into a
rather odd looking wooden pyramid.