[Marxism] Imperialism and the US working class (Was YADL)

Shane Mage shmage at pipeline.com
Mon Apr 6 09:02:28 MDT 2009

On Apr 6, 2009, at 10:29 AM, Joaquin Bustelo wrote:

> How much does the U.S. benefit from its domination of the world as
> the top
> dog imperialist power? Consider this: The U.S. is spending three
> quarters of
> a trillion dollars a year on its military establishment, which is
> EXCLUSIVELY dedicated to projecting force to dominate other
> countries, since
> the U.S. "homeland" is in absolutely no military danger from
> anybody. "In
> 2007, US military spending was above 1/4 of combined industrial and
> agricultural production in the USA," says Wikipedia.
>
> To this already substantial figure we need to add the budgets for debt
> service, currently running at more that $400 billion, as well as
> various
> other government expenses, for example the department of "energy" is
> really
> about making and maintaining nuclear bombs, the veterans, the hidden
> CIA,
> NSA and similar budgets, a lot of the "trade promotion" and all of the
> "foreign aid" because these really seek to re-enforce domination.
>
> This gives us the figure of certainly not less than $1.3 trillion
> dollars as
> a first approximation of a lower bound of the yearly economic input
> to the
> U.S.

The muddle is complete.  Fantastic expenditures of real wealth--paid
for by the exploited labor of and taxes on the working classes--are
presented as "economic inputs" rather than the totally wasteful
economic costs that they really are.  The muddle comes from thinking
in terms of "countries" rather than of classes.  Imperialism is
capital's looting enterprise, looting the working people in *both* the
metropolitan and dependent areas.

Shane Mage