[Marxism] Actual data

Marv Gandall marvgandall at videotron.ca
Mon Apr 6 12:30:09 MDT 2009

"Representative" or not, why is such emphasis being placed on geographic
location - or, rather, citizenship in an imperialist or non-imperialist
nation - as the primary determinant of consciousness?  My impression is that
the early Marxists who contributed most to an understanding of this question
did not seem to think so. If they had, they would have rejected the notion
of an an alliance of the workers in the imperialist nations with the
national movements of the oppressed colonial peoples as hopelessly utopian.

Instead, the 2nd Congress of the Third International called for precisely
such an alliance, and the Indian Marxist, MN Roy, hailed it as a venue where
“for the first time, brown and yellow men met with white men who were not
overbearing imperialists but friends and comrades”. Sadly, I don't see that
same spirit in Joaquin's remarks. He seems to regard workers in the US and
other imperialist countries as irredeemably reformist. Am I mistaken? If
they are not irredeemable, then scorning their "white skin privilege" is not
the best way to reach out to them. The anger this has provoked on this most
unrepresentative list is a register of that.