[Marxism] Moldova

Thomas Campbell avvakum at gmail.com
Wed Apr 8 13:57:00 MDT 2009

The events in Moldova have been the hot topic of conversation the last
couple days on the listserv of our group (Chto Delat Platform) because
one of our correspondents is a computer programmer and poet who lives
in Chisinau (Kishinev), where he is also involved with a Marxist
group, Rezistenta Populara. They fielded a candidate in the
parliamentary elections whose outcome is now the source of the
controversy. If I remember correctly, he got 2000 or so votes. (That
is, he didn't win a seat in parliament.)

This past fall, our comrade (Vadim) wrote a short piece about RP,
their work, and the overall political and economic situation in
Moldova. I translated it for our blog and you can read it here:

http://chtodelat.wordpress.com/2008/11/11/peoples-resistance-moldova/

>From RP's point of view, the so-called Communist Party of the Republic
of Moldova is communist only in name. As Vadim puts it, the current
conflict is a struggle between one group of "authoritarian"
neoliberals (the so-called communists) and another group of
neoliberals, the allegedly more pro-EU "opposition." The protesting
students, he writes, have no clear program; they're just disgusted
with their poverty and lack of opportunity.

It's a curious fact that one of the "leaders" of the student protests
(the quotation marks are appropriate at this point because no one know
who is leading whom) is Natalia Morar, a journalist for the Russia
liberal oppositionist news weekly The New Times. (That's exactly what
it's called; they changed the name from Novoe Vremia a couple years
ago -- apparently to indicate their utter alienation from the unwashed
masses.) Natalia is something of a celebrity in Russia because she was
denied entry into the country (she's a Moldovan citizen, although she
studied at Moscow State University) after she published an article in
The New Times about the corrupt financing of the Russian parliamentary
elections, in 2007. She then married a Russian journalist at the
magazine, but when the happy couple tried to enter the country again,
they were held at the airport in Moscow for three days before Natalia
was again deported.

I appreciate the George Soros/Open Society watch you've been
maintaining, Louis, but I think their appearance in the NYTImes
article has a more banal explanation. The Times reporters simply
needed someone to quote for the article and there was their pal at
Open Society; maybe he's their drinking buddy.

In any case, do you really think Soros is capable of putting ten
thousand people on the streets in Chisinau? I don't. Besides, you
might be interested to know that Soros is a much a bogeyman for the
powers that be and their henchman in Russia as, it seems, he's become
for you. For example, at the recent congress of the Russian Union of
Cinematographers, where Putinoid scumbag Nikita Mikhalkov took revenge
on the "rebels" in the union who had recently tried to wrest control
from the great director's steely grip, the specter of Soros was also
invoked. (Some folks have already dubbed it a "congress of the
victors," if you catch the reference.) In his two-hour oral
denunciation of his enemies (chief among them Marlen Khutsiev, who
actually is a truly great film director) Mikhalkov claimed that the
coup within the union was a "North Atlantic" plot whose ultimate goal
was to destroy Russia. By averting the "destruction" of their beloved
union, he said, the cinematographers had in fact averted the
destruction of Russia.

I don't mean to say that if Nikita Mikhalkov doesn't like George
Soros, then Soros must be alright. On the contrary. But people in
Russia and Moldova are capable of deciding, without any help from
George Soros, that they don't like the authoritarian neoliberal
gangsters who have ruined their countries.