[Marxism] Rescue Dawn

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Thu Apr 9 13:07:18 MDT 2009

Out of curiosity, I watched Werner Herzog’s 2006 movie “Rescue Dawn” on
Showtime the other night. This is a movie based on Navy pilot Dieter
Dengler’s escape from a Laotian prison camp in 1966 that I could not
help lumping with similar efforts involving Sylvester Stallone or Chuck
Norris. Perhaps I am a glutton for punishment, but I then watched his
1997 documentary “Dieter Dengler Needs to Fly” on Neflix online (my
first stab at this-not bad all in all), the first foray into glorifying
a killer in uniform.

As many of you probably know, Werner Herzog has an attraction to the
grotesque that is only exceeded by David Lynch. Additionally, both have
questionable politics. Lynch was a Reaganite, but it is difficult to
detect any kind of political statement in his movies. For his part,
Herzog claims to be above politics but when it comes to the wars in
Nicaragua and Vietnam, his films clearly had a rightwing tilt even if
they are couched in his peculiar esthetic.

full: http://louisproyect.wordpress.com/2009/04/09/rescue-dawn/