[Marxism] Fidel Castro: Contradictions in US Foreign Policy

Fred Feldman ffeldman at bellatlantic.net
Thu Apr 9 16:58:14 MDT 2009

"Even though he was a messenger with mixed signals, his obvious good health
and agile mind operating like a working machine allowed the black president
to carry out his first foreign visit with unquestionable political results.

"He certainly does not resemble his predecessor at all."

Fidel aims his comments quite consciously at the Obama supporters who still
make up a big majority of politically active people in this country. He
attempts to assess his opponent, from the nature of the opposed social
systems, objectively including taking careful note of the characteristics
that distinguish him from his predecessor.

I think that approach is sound, which is why I don't spend time "exposing"
the transparently obvious like the fact that Obama has rich friends who
benefit from measures he proposes to bail out the rich people (i.e., bailing
out "the banks"). From the standpoint even of the low political level in
this country, that is strictly dog bites man.
Fred Feldman

Embassy of the Republic of Cuba
Ottawa, Canadá

Reflections by comrade Fidel

Contradictions in U.S. Foreign Policy

After the G-20 Summit that took up the world’s attention, news continued to
arrive through the press agencies about the feverish activity of the man who
had been the star in London, Barack Obama, the new president of the United
States; he has embarked on the first 100 days of his administration, under
the scrutiny of those who closely follow international politics.

As punctual as a digital watch, he travels from one place to the next,
meeting with political leaders, commemorating anniversaries, receiving
honors, visiting cities, holding press conferences, announcing plans,
launching messages and making speeches.

With the supersonic G-20 Summit barely concluded, he leaves for Strasbourg,
France, on the German border.  He meets there on the 3rd with Sarkozy who
was happy about not having had to leave the G-20 table in London.  They deal
with numerous problems which concern Iran, Afghanistan, Russia, the Near
East and they promise to work “hand in hand” to build a new world.  “I am
convinced that the United States, Russia and Europe are interested in
preventing Iran from having atomic weapons.  In many cases we have common
interests with Russia, but we also have differences of opinion on key
issues”, he states.

It is announced that both Obama and Sarkozy will participate with 26 other
countries in the NATO summit that would begin that afternoon in the German
town of Baden-Baden and would conclude the following day in Strasbourg.

Before leaving, he states that “Europe should not let the United States bear
this burden alone because this is a problem concerning both and a joint
effort is necessary”.

“We do not seek to be chiefs in Europe; we are seeking to be partners with
Europe”.

He leaves Strasbourg en route to the town of Baden-Baden to meet with German
Chancellor Angela Merckel before a dinner with the 26 NATO heads of states
and governments, plus those of Croatia and Albania who are applying for
admission.  The summit will serve as the opening for the 60th anniversary of
the military organization.  There they intended to analyze relations with
Russia that “reached their lowest point in the past month of August after
the Russia-Georgia war”.

Another objective was discussion to renew the Alliance’s strategic action
concept dating back to 1999 to adjust it to the new threats.

Discussion of the Afghanistan and Kosovo situation would follow.

On the 3rd in Strasbourg, Obama meets with more than three thousand young
French and Germans and he delivers a short speech which shall be talked
about considerably in the future because of its audacity.

“I have come to Europe this week to renew our alliance.  The United States
is changing but it cannot only be America that is changing”.  Then he
announces the contents of the speech he will be making in Prague about
nuclear proliferation and he asserts that his aim is: “a world without
nuclear weapons”.

At another moment he added: “Even now, that the Cold War has ended, the
expansion of nuclear weapons or the theft of nuclear material could bring
destruction to any city on the planet”.

The growing concern in the world about the enormous destructive and
annihilating power of those weapons is unquestionable; it joins the concerns
of other states, especially the American society itself, about the risks of
nuclear sabotage.  That is what Obama literally says with his phrase: “the
theft of nuclear material could bring destruction to any city on the
planet”.

On April 4, giving a speech at the NATO Summit, he welcomed Croatia and
Albania to the heart of that military entity thus bringing to 28 the number
of members.  The president of the United States stressed that 140 Albanian
and 296 Croatian soldiers have served in Afghanistan.  “I think that both
will be steadfast contributors to the Alliance”.

The contradictory forms with which the American president expresses his
ideas are evident.

“The doors of the Alliance will continue to be open for other countries who
comply with NATO standards and who can make a significant contribution to
the security of the Alliance.”

The EFE news agency explains: “Russia reveals itself to be highly critical
of NATO expansion towards the east, and in particular towards the former
Soviet republics that it considers to be its natural sphere of influence”.

“Last year at its April summit in Bucharest, the Alliance promised an
eventual path to the admission of the Ukraine and Georgia supported by
Obama’s predecessor George W. Bush”, the cable reminds us.

Could it be that there is any doubt about NATO being a warlike and
aggressive organization, one that threatens not only Russia but also other
countries in any part of the world?  Could the Guantanamo torture centre
have been created and maintained without the cooperation of the numerous
NATO countries?

Yet again, the audacity and the contradictions are expressed at the first
summit of the president of the United States with the European Union in
Prague.  He promised “to lead efforts for a world without nuclear weapons”.

“We cannot succeed in this endeavor alone, but we can lead it.”

He specifically stated that he hoped to achieve a speedy end to nuclear
testing and confirmed his hope of seeking Senate approval for the
Comprehensive Test Ban Treaty.

“I also advocate a world summit meeting on nuclear security to be held next
year”, the cables point out.

There is also information that “Obama was woken up to be informed of the
launching of a North Korean rocket that apparently flew over Japan.  He
requested that the UN Security Council respond firmly to the provocation in
an emergency meeting held that very same Sunday.”

On March 12, the Peoples’ Republic of Korea had announced that between April
4 and 8 it would be launching a communications satellite as part of a
peaceful spatial program.  That was known when Obama spoke in Strasbourg to
the French and German young people.

After he was informed in Prague, he drew up a statement which expressed:
“Rules must be binding.  Violations must be punished.  Words must mean
something.”

Launching a rocket that will orbit communications media, testing technology
or taking a tourist on a trip are not crimes unless they are done by the
Peoples’ Republic of Korea which does not belong to the club of the most
powerful and those who have the resources to apply such sophisticated
technology. Japan took advantage of the opportunity to adjust its
anti-satellite missiles and to improve its defense without anybody
questioning that right.

I think it was an exaggeration to wake up Obama in the early morning hours.

Before leaving Prague, at a gathering of 30,000 people, he said: “To say
that nuclear weapons are inevitable is like saying that the use of nuclear
weapons is inevitable.  Humanity must once again become master of its own
destiny”.  This is a very strong assertion.  However, he later added that
the space shield that the U.S. projects for European territory is a program
that responds to the Iranian nuclear menace.  Such a statement is not
consistent with the truth and I do not understand his reiteration of it.

Russia rejects that plan for the space shield and considers it to be
expansionist; therefore, it demands its cancellation.

During the night of Sunday the 5th, he arrived in Turkey.

After meeting on Monday with Turkish leaders in Ankara, the capital of that
Euro-Asian nation, and delivering a speech in parliament, he announced that
he would be traveling to Istanbul to attend the Second Forum of the Alliance
of Civilizations.

In Prague he had promised to support Turkey’s admittance into the European
Union, something which is opposed by France, Germany and others.

In Ankara, he again asked for Turkish admission to the European Union.  He
pointed out that, nevertheless, Turkey ought to make efforts to reinforce
its democracy.

The first thing he did upon arrival in that country was to pay tribute to
Mustafa Kemal Ataturk, the founder of the Turkish Republic.

“We shall be respectful even though we may not agree”, he stated before
parliament; another profound phrase.

 “The United States is not, nor will it be, at war with Islam,” he said.

Thousands of Turks had taken to the streets to protest U.S. policies.

The president of the United States ended his visit on the 7th at 2:20
Istanbul time, Turkey’s main city, after a tiring 8-day tour.

His last meeting was with the students.  He made a plea to the young people
to lay bridges between Islam and the West.  As EFE reports it, he urged the
Muslims to ignore the “caricatures” that depict the Americans as ignorant or
insensitive and he assured them that “that is not the country he loves.”

The events described reflect the complexity of the tasks Obama bears on his
shoulders.

He had frankly declared: “In four or eight years it can be said whether I
have pursued the same policies or if things have changed”.

Even though he was a messenger with mixed signals, his obvious good health
and agile mind operating like a working machine allowed the black president
to carry out his first foreign visit with unquestionable political results.

He certainly does not resemble his predecessor at all.

Fidel Castro Ruz

April 8, 2009