[Marxism] Fidel's meeting with US House Black caucus members: outreach to US Blacks

Fred Feldman ffeldman at bellatlantic.net
Fri Apr 10 08:53:04 MDT 2009

This is my response to a debate on Change-Links and Cuba Solidarity on
Fidel's comment on meeting the three congresspeople.

Cort Greene, who  is an activist who has often acted informally as a
spokesperson for the international Trotskyist tendency led by Alan Woods,
which in the past has taken a more positive attitude toward Cuba and the
Chavez government than most of the Trotskyist Family. I don't know if he
speaks for them on this issue.
Fred Feldman

Cort Greene wrote
Obama will try to pull a Nixon, we will see if the so called Left keeps
falling for this new line of friendly imperialism.Maybe the Jane Franklin's
and the  Walter Lippmann's types will be fooled but not real
revolutionaries.

Fred Feldman replies:
I take it from Fidel's extremely positive response to this overture from the
US Black Congressional Caucus that Cort now places him in the "fooled"
category with Jane Franklin and Walter Lippmann, and not in the "real
revolutionaries" category with Cort,  Alan Woods, and whoever.

For Walter and Jane are guilty against fighting the US imperialist policy of
isolating Cuba while Cort views it as, despite the intentions of its
creators which was to destroy the revolution, protecting the revolution from
imperialist penetration and influence.

Hence his comparison with Nixon's ending of the failed imperialist policy of
economically and diplomatically isolating China. Cort assumes that if the
blockade is lifted, Cuba will respond as Mao did, by allying with the US
imperialist camp. There is no evidence to support his view, which he treats
as simply a given.

Fighting the blockade is bad because it can lead to situations where Cuba
might deal with the US government, which Cort is firmly opposed to
permitting. From his standpoint, the blockade, while reactionary, is
preferable to the sellout by the Cuban leadership that he is sure will
follow the ending or even significant relaxation of the blockade.

Not fighting the imperialist blockade. while opposing imperialism and its
policies in general, is therefore the correct revolutionary policy, in
Cort's view.

It is by actively fighting the imperialist policy {rather than seeing it as
a failed counterrevolutionary policy which now serves, unintentionally, as a
guardian of the revolutionary gains as Cort does) that Walter and Jane have
gone down the anti-revolutionary road in Cort's view.
Fred Feldman