[Marxism] Fidel's meeting with US House Black caucus members: outreach to US Blacks

Fred Feldman ffeldman at bellatlantic.net
Fri Apr 10 10:02:44 MDT 2009

As is unfailingly true when we disagree, Louis misrepresents what I was
trying to communicate.

I nowhere suggested that Cort or any other leftist opposes "lifting the
blockade." This would be a very strange demand on the imperialists, and
hardly anyone but right-wingers does so.

I said that he is opposed to the fight against the blockade, because he
aasically convinced that the "soft cop" policy will surely result in the
destruction of the revolution. That is the meaning of his parallel with
Nixon. Nowhere does he suggest that the lifting of the blockade, or the
current easing, would be progressive or a victory for the Cuban revolution.

Nowhere does he indicate active support for lifting it. And his condemnation
of Walter and Jane is clearly related to the enormous efforts that Cuba
solidarity forces in this country have put it into the blockade. For him,
the ending of the blockade is simply a matter of indifference, since it is
simply a shift between completely equal evils -- a "soft cop" and "hard cop"
policy, with the proviso that the lifting of the blockade will increase the
danger to the Cuban revolution.

His response to those who are happy about the new openings for Cuba
indicates not that he supports the imperialist blockade -- he opposes all
imperialist policies equally, and this is simply one among many -- is
clearly indicated. THEY ARE WRONG TO BE PLEASED. THIS IS NOT A GAIN FOR A
STRUGGLE WAGED BY CUBA AND ITS ALLIES AND FRIENDS, BUT SIMPLY A SHIFT IN
IMPERIALIST POLICY FROM A FAILED POLICY TO A MORE EFFECTIVE ONE IN
DESTROYING THE REVOLUTION.

Louis is entitled to his opinion. He may feel basic solidarity with Cort's
approach or simply driven to distraction by the mention of the unsinkable
Walter Lippmann. However, it would be an error to allow intense loathing for
Walter to govern ones attitude to the long struggle of the Cuba solidarity
forces in the United States for relaxing and ending the blockade, which
seems to be making some long-needed headway.

Louis and I disagree, as we will many times in the future, I suspect. For
now I am content to let him have his right of property, the last word.
Fred Feldman