[Marxism] Alan Wald: The Urban Landscape of Marxist Noir

J Rothermel jayroth6 at cox.net
Fri Apr 10 23:20:16 MDT 2009

http://www.crimetime.co.uk/features/marxistnoir.php

    The Urban Landscape of Marxist Noir

Alan Wald <../whoweare.php>

/Professor Alan Wald tells *Graham Barnfield* about the writers
rediscovered after years of forensic detective work/

*Part of your last book Writing from the Left reads as a pledge to
rediscover the lost authors of the 1940s and 1950s. How did you become
interested in these writers?*

My preoccupation with 'lost' leftwing authors of the 1940s and 1950s is
a logical extension of my research on the 'committed' radical writers of
the 1930s. Many of the best-known 'left' authors of the Depression era
were, in fact, formed as writers and intellectuals in the 1920s - for
example, John Dos Passos, James T. Farrell, Josephine Herbst, and
Langston Hughes. Even Michael Gold and Jack Conroy served literary
apprenticeships in the 1920s. This explains why I was particularly
concerned in my first three books with the relationship of Marxism to
Modernism, since 'High Modernism' was in full swing in the 1920s. But it
wasn't very long before I was asking myself: what was the trajectory of
those who were very young in the 1930s, who perhaps did not reach their
stride until after World War Two? I was also struck by the fact that so
many of the 'canonised' texts of 1930s, such as The Grapes of Wrath, For
Whom the Bell Tolls, U.S.A., Native Son, the Studs Lonigan trilogy,
Waiting for Lefty, were by writers who later repudiated the particular
kind of radicalism to which they adhered at the time when they produced
their masterpieces. So I also began to ask myself about the cultural
production - and the lives - of those who stayed true to their early
convictions through the years of McCarthyite persecution. As a result of
further research I began to wonder if it might be an inaccurate
representation of US cultural history to focus so much on a '1930s' or
'Great Depression' radical tradition organised around a paradigm of
strike novels, conversions-to-Communism novels, and so on. Would it not
be more appropriate to think about a radical tradition of larger scope
that perhaps expressed itself in distinct forms - and achieved its
greatest notoriety - during the 1930s? What if the left tradition were
more central to US culture, rather than episodic to 'protest decades'
like the 1930s and 1960s? And what if 'writers on the left' were
redefined to mean 'writings by leftists', regardless of genre? So I
began looking at the names that I did NOT recognise in the book review
sections of left publications, or from the membership lists of left
cultural organisations. In particular, when I could not locate any
references to them in standard literary histories and reference books, I
became even more intrigued. I used 'detective' methods of trying to find
out the fate of these people - rummaging through phone books in various
cities, going to the physical locations of some of their books, writing
personal letters to their last known addresses, and looking in the
'miscellaneous' files of the archives of the more important writers and
political figures (where materials from unidentified people tends to get
lumped and then overlooked). As it turned out, a surprising number of
such writers were - or soon became - involved in
crime/thriller/pulp/mystery writing, often marked in some fashion by the
encounter with Marxism.

*From what you are saying, it would appear that dozens of authors
disappeared, in that their careers were cut short in the McCarthy era.
How did this happen?*

Certainly the McCarthy era was a factor in creating many difficulties
for the survival of leftwing writers, although it is misleading to think
about a substantial number of careers being 'cut short'. Publishing
became harder and people switched to different genres, but there was
still productivity. One important blow to the left was that the
outstanding leftwing editor Angus Cameron, vice-president of Little,
Brown, Inc., was forced out of his job, but Cameron then set up an
independent publishing house that issued novels and other radical texts.
Although books by convicted 'Hollywood Ten' member Albert Maltz were
rejected by the mainstream publishers who had previously solicited his
work, he kept on writing and brought them out by other means. Then there
is the case of bestseller Howard Fast. Upon release from prison, for
refusing to give up names, Fast established his own company, Blue Heron,
which made his novel Spartacus (which he began in prison) into a
bestseller. Thus I believe that literary historians who have premised
their arguments on the virtual demise of the left tradition in the Cold
War, or else have looked in very narrow places for what they imagine to
be 'radical' texts and found very few, have been complicit in the
official 'disappearance' of leftwing resistance literature in the Cold
War years. Actually, I have discussed this phenomenon with many specific
examples, in my introduction to the 1997 reprint of Philip Bonosky's
Burning Valley. An important point to keep in mind is that the political
repression in mainstream publishing was accompanied by other
developments, especially mass-market action/thriller paperbacks and the
rise of science fiction. Then there was the phenomenon of children's and
young adult books in the areas of narratives, science, history, and so
forth. Knopf, a mainstream publisher with left sympathies, created space
for leftists in its children's book list, and many other publishers
simply didn't ask questions about the politics of the authors when it
came to young adult texts. So radicals poured into such new genres and
found creative ways to express their ideas.

*What was the role of the Hollywood Blacklist in all this? Conventional
wisdom says that leftwing writers went to Hollywood and got writer's
block, from Nathanael West to Barton Fink. Is it more accurate to say
they were driven out in the 50s, at which point many tried to return to
commercial writing?*

Of course, some survived the blacklist by changing their politics - like
Clifford Odets, Roy Huggins, Budd Schulberg and Elia Kazan. Others, who
had already been playwrights and novelists before their Hollywood
period, returned to, or continued to pursue, their craft - George Sklar,
Guy Endore, Albert Maltz, Samuel Ornitz, Vera Caspary, Abraham Polonsky.
Some tried fiction for the first time - Eddie Huebsch, Ben Barzman, Ring
Lardner Jr. Still others managed to make films independently or under
pseudonyms, or abroad. John Howard Lawson, the playwright and
screenwriter, published some scholarly Marxist books. Although
superficial generalisations can be made, one has to look at specific
lives to talk accurately about the impact on anyone's work. John
Sanford, for example, had given up screenwriting to return to novels
years before the blacklist. Yet he did, in fact, develop a major
writer's block in the 1950s. The cause was that he felt guilty for
having dragged his wife, screenwriter Marguerite Roberts, into the
Communist Party, which resulted in her being blacklisted. There are
probably some cases where Hollywood culture itself destroyed talent, and
others where it provided an opportunity for creative expression that
would never have found fulfilment elsewhere. (For example, today Ben
Maddow is highly regarded for his film scripts, such as the co-authored
noir film The Asphalt Jungle, but no-one seems to care about his noir
novel, Forty-Four Gravel Street, or his poetry, short stories or
photography criticism.) There may even be some cases where the blacklist
actually 'liberated' people to undertake important projects that might
otherwise have been missed. (For example, after being blacklisted,
screenwriter Philip Stevenson wrote four novels about the 1934 Gallup,
New Mexico miners' strike; this fills in a crucial gap in left history,
and I'm not certain that Stevenson would have achieved as much had he
stayed active in film.) Of course, writers should have the option of
making up their own minds about where and in what form they wish to
produce. But a simple narrative of 'lost masterpieces' due to repression
is both romanticised in terms of the various abilities of figures in the
field of film and not very fair in terms of recognising that left
writers did not allow themselves to be shut up all that easily.

*Many went on to work sometimes under pseudonyms in mainstream
publishing and genre writing. Was there a lot of subterfuge involved?*

Once again, the cases vary. Meridel LeSueur wrote her children's books
for a mainstream publisher under her own name. Howard Fast experimented
with another name in the McCarthy era but almost always used his own.
(Later on, though, Fast used two pseudonyms to develop several mystery
series, probably for market reasons.) Vera Caspary kept her name and
lied about her CP past. Jim Thompson kept his name too, but never
mentioned his earlier CP membership. Philip Stevenson published two
novels as Lars Lawrence, and wrote for the CP press under other names,
but his friends Endore, Sklar, Sanford, Maltz and others never changed
names for their novel-writing. A person like Zinberg, who had an
interracial marriage and wanted to adopt a child, may have had a variety
of reasons for masking his identity as Ed Lacy and Steve April. And then
there were writers who used 'fronts', usually for film and TV writing.
They were often in the difficult situation of having other people sign
legal documents and even accept awards; thus, to reveal the names of
fronts, even decades later, could bring lawsuits. However, it is now
known that black radical novelist John O. Killens 'fronted' for
blacklisted Abraham Polonsky in the important anti-racist film noir Odds
Against Tomorrow. One former Communist who wrote Classics Comics in the
1950s made me promise never to reveal his identity; yet another one - Dr
Annette Rubinstein, a literary scholar - has no hesitation in
acknowledging that she did the same thing. Keep in mind that even
earlier, long before the blacklist, a number of leftists wrote under
pseudonyms for what they regarded as the 'pulp fiction factory' because
they were embarrassed by the genre or simply wanted separate identifies
for different kinds of writing. Thus Kenneth Fearing was also Kirk
Wolfe, and Paul William Ryan was Robert Finnegan in his pulp writing and
Mike Quin in his CP writing.

*What you're saying will sound counterintuitive to many. After all,
inter-war crime fiction has the reputation for being radical given
Hammett's alleged CPUSA membership, whereas in the 1950s it seemed far
more reactionary, as personified by Mickey Spillane's Mike Hammer.*

Well, the chronological paradigm has a few flaws. For example, Hammett
completed the majority of his influential private eye fiction before he
had any connection with Communism or even an attraction to radicalism in
the Marxian sense. So he is present on the left scene in the 1930s as a
personality, and he also did quite a bit of teaching at Party-led
schools. Probably, though, in a quantitative sense, crime/pulp/thriller
fiction was not overwhelmingly leftwing during the 1920s, 1930s, 1940s
or 1950s. What we actually see would be more accurately characterised as
a fairly strong presence. Starting in the 1920s, Walter Snow, already a
Communist, wrote prolifically for gangster pulps, as did future radicals
John Spivak and William Rollins Jr. (There was also a major Communist
science fiction writer of that decade, Francis Flagg, the pseudonym of
George Henry Weiss). In the case of Spivak, he no doubt employed many
pulp techniques in his 1930s radical fiction and reportage; and Rollins
kept alternating between the left and pulp/mystery genres until his
death in the late 1940s. Also in the 1930s, committed leftists were
making contributions to crime/gangster fiction in a variety of ways.
Sometimes it was explicit, as in the case of Ben Appel's Brain Guy
trilogy and William Cunningham's Pretty Boy. But it was also indirect in
gangster/crime episodes that occur in radical novels like Gold's Jews
Without Money, Daniel Fuchs' Low Company (a novel that was later filmed
as The Gangster), Richard Wright's Native Son, and Meridel LeSueur's The
Girl.

*So would your research support the idea that the investigations
conducted in crime fiction are also investigations of the society in
which the authors lived, as with Ernest Mandel's Delightful Murder? Is
this true for the McCarthy years, when government hostility to such
critical voices was at it height?*

Hope Davis and Jean Karsavina occasionally tried to interpolate left
themes into their pulp fiction. The point is that there was a strong and
variegated presence, but I would be hesitant to say that one particular
site - for example, crime fiction - was 'radical' in a Marxist or
Communist way. Moreover, there are lots of reasons why this presence
increased in the 1940s and 1950s. For one thing, the revolution in
publishing opened many more doors for people to get books and stories
into print and even to make money, if they intervened in the popular
forms. Thus the young radical science fiction writers who did their
apprentice work in the late 1930s really took off - Frederik Pohl, Isaac
Asimov, Robert Lowndes, Donald Wollheim, Judith Merril, Cyril Kornbluth.

*On balance, just how big a contribution did these writers make to the
crime/mystery/detective genre?*

Certainly if we include film noir screenplays as crime fiction, the left
contribution is almost monumental. Albert Maltz was co-author of The
Naked City, Abraham Polonsky was author of Force of Evil (based on the
novel by Marxist Ira Wolfert), Ben Maddow was author of The Asphalt
Jungle, Kenneth Fearing wrote the mystery on which the film The Big
Clock was based, and so on. Even Edwin Rolfe, the marvellous Communist
poet, turned to mystery and science fiction writing in the late 1940s.
Robert Finnegan had three successes before his premature death. Jim
Thompson moves from several proletarian novels to crime fiction, but
retains a kind of left populism. Len Zinberg remakes his career as a
mystery writer after returning from World War Two. Still, despite a
dynamic and influential presence on the part of the left, it would be
misleading to theorise any aspect of crime/pulp writing of the 1950s,
including film noir, as a left creation, either going back to the
popular front politics or as an expression of Cold War resistance. To do
that means to shut out too many examples of rightwing film noir and
crime fiction, as well as to ignore the fact that many key features of
these genres appear decades earlier. Although I have not thought about
it too much, we would probably have the same problem in making big
generalisations about 'investigations' in left crime fiction. Of course,
any thesis can be made to appear powerful by being highly selective in
one's examples and by cutting corners in relation to biographical
matters (such as the kind of political commitments an author might hold,
and the importance of such commitments at various times in artistic
production). What I am prepared to say is that there is certainly a
heavy left presence in noir production (film as well as fiction) because
leftists were often very talented and participated in a wide range of
cultural activities. Beyond this, we can point to some specific cases
where an interest in urban culture began in left fiction and continued
in film (Maddow, Maltz). But we should not forget that there are also
instances of left writers such as Guy Endore, who was brought to
Hollywood on the strength of his knowledge of the supernatural and
occult, evidenced in his classic novel The Werewolf of Paris. For me,
the precise meaning of a literary motif such as an 'investigation',
while it seems to lend itself to a critique of the social formation,
cannot be abstracted from the psychology of an author, Marxist or not.
Again, in the instance of Endore, I feel that psychoanalytical and
linguistic theories often motivated the 'investigations' in his crime
novels such as Methinks the Lady and Detour at Midnight.

*Is fair to say that the most fondly remembered of these narratives,
like Fearing's The Big Clock, have earned their place in the canon on
the back of their literary strengths alone, whereas the more pulpy
writers deservedly fell by the wayside? Or is there more to it than
this? After all, some of the authors, such as Ed Lacy and Paul Ryan, won
prizes for their works, yet few people read them today.*

It's hard to say why certain works are remembered and others forgotten.
The Big Clock has a following, but it has also been out of print at
times. Recently William Lindsay Gresham's Nightmare Alley, which I
regard as also very complex and a powerful Marxist/Freudian statement,
appeared in a canon-making volume of American noir; but it had been
nearly lost for decades, and there is still no real sign of its revival.
Likewise, all sorts of forgotten Jim Thompson books are now in print, to
go along with two biographies, but only a few, such as The Killer Inside
Me, have real stature. In France I understand that Robert Finnegan has a
following, but there is no interest here. In the case of Ed Lacy, I'm
pretty certain that if I could use In Black and White or Room to Swing
in the classroom, students would be quite excited and we might even see
dissertations about Lacy. What I think we can determine, through
research, is that certain books have been successful in sales, or
received good reviews, or have been taken up by critics and scholars at
certain points. But I'm not sure how to assess 'literary strengths'
because a book with a strong narrative might have some pretty thin
characters, and one with compelling characters might have a
poorly-conceived and executed plot. A book might seem to be dreary and
depressing when read under one set of circumstances, but to harbour
important truths and a prophetic vision under another. One way to
resolve this issue is to set up certain models of accepted literary
strengths and to compare various texts to these. But the problem with
models is that it is hard to find those which respond to all the
different kinds of work that a text might carry out. In any event, since
no discussion is taking place that includes most of these texts, I think
it would be hard to reach strong conclusions.

*Given the radicalism of these writers, did working in the crime genre
divert them from their political/cultural goals? For instance, William
Rollins Jr was widely praised for his strike novel The Shadow Before,
yet he seems to disappear off the scene afterwards. Likewise, Howard
Fast's E. V Cunningham stories may have helped him to make a living when
he was blacklisted, yet he continued to write them into the 1980s, with
quantity appearing to overtake quality in his work. I guess what I'm
asking is whether these writers are politically significant, significant
crime writers, or both?*

Again, the question of deflection of a career due to a genre switch can
only be answered individually, on the basis of biographical research.
Determining the 'goals' of various writers and measuring their
achievements against various constraints (individual talent, economic
problems, health, opportunities to get into print) is a very difficult
task. Clearly the biggest problem for many writers was making money to
survive. For some, this factor originally drew them into pulp/crime
fiction because one got paid. Yet some regarded this as hack work to
support their real interests, in this manner paralleling those Hollywood
writers who imagined that they would alternate between money-making
screenplays and serious drama. Others took the genre more seriously,
and, in fact, Fearing did not see The Big Clock as a mystery thriller.
Moreover, when it comes to expressing politics, I think we have to
realise that, given the nature of US capitalist society, almost all
writers have to pull their political punches in order to have books
published, even in times more radical than the 1950s. We have, for
example, someone as important and powerful as Ernest Hemingway changing
Robert Jordan, the protagonist of For Whom the Bell Tolls, from a
Communist to a liberal at the behest of his publishers, for reasons of
sales potential. Then there is the question of exactly how political
consciousness-raising is accomplished through literature. Speaking as a
person who managed to be radicalised by reading such conservative texts
as The Wasteland and The God That Failed, I'm sceptical of a model that
seems to require a readership with a blank consciousness reading a
'truly revolutionary narrative', and then becoming revolutionised. Books
certainly influence individuals, but the circumstances under which the
reading occurs and the reader's prior experience play key roles in the
outcome. Thus the matter of political significance in relation to
artistic significance is tricky as well. Sure, if Jim Thompson actually
longed to write strike novels with workers raising the red flag, that
didn't happen, and I suppose that we can say that the genre in which he
operated was not particularly hospitable to that kind of narrative. Yet
Robert Finnegan managed to slip anti-fascist and anti-capitalist themes
into his crime fiction, and Ed Lacy explored many aspects of racism in
unusual situations and from fresh angles. Should we then conclude that
they are significant for political reasons alone, and Thompson, still
widely read, is more literary? In my view, that's not a tenable
distinction; the politics in all three are probably masked to some
degree, and there are all kinds of things that Lacy accomplishes in his
art that I see nowhere in Thompson. In general, I think we can go so far
as to say that there are certain aspects of the crime genre that
especially lend themselves to a Marxist imagination - the urban setting,
the theme of corruption by wealth, the possibilities of having a diverse
range of characters (in terms of class, colour, gender), the problem of
the state, and so on. And clearly there have been many left novelists
and screenwriters in the pulp/noir/crime genre who availed themselves of
opportunities to make anti-capitalist observations through appropriate
dramatic techniques and characterisations, with varying degrees of
success. On the other hand, ideologues who go to these works in search
of stories about conversions to Marxist ideology, the depiction of
frankly Communist heroes, the use of episodes to openly express
solidarity with the USSR, and so on, as the signs of a Communist
presence, are bound to be disappointed.

*Regarding Fast, Guy Endore and Ed Lacy, you have noted their use of
ethnic minority characters to highlight the racial injustices in
American society. Tell us more about this strategy.*

There's a long tradition among left writers of using racism against
people of colour as a prime example of capitalism's horrors. There has
also been a sense of identification with the nineteenth century
abolitionists (and especially John Brown) as models for how
revolutionary minorities can be transformed into a victorious majority.
Anger about racism (sometimes identified with the anti-Semitism that was
growing in Europe) could propel writers toward the left, and it was also
the central concern of the propaganda, agitation and cultural work of
the major left organisation in the mid-twentieth century, the CPUSA.
Moreover, prior to the 1960s, it was fairly acceptable for white and
Jewish writers to address black themes and create black characters. Of
course, they ran the risk of being criticised harshly if a case could be
made that they used stereotypes or displayed other signs of racism. Even
Richard Wright was attacked by black Communist Party activists in Harlem
for his portrait of Bigger Thomas as lumpen and his failure to show
politically conscious black characters. There is also the famous case of
the Jewish writer Earl Conrad (Earl Cohen): previously praised by the
Communist Party for Scottsboro Boy; Conrad was completely driven from
Party circles due to attacks on his anti-racist novel Rock Bottom for
allegedly showing blacks as degraded. In some cases the black characters
were attractive to left writers as symbols of resistance who dramatised
certain issues; this was the case with slave rebel Denmark Vesey's
refusing to 'name names' in Aaron Kramer's anti-McCarthy dramatic poem.
In other cases, black characters seemed logical choices for fiction in
relation to the political work that the writer had carried out. For
example, Guy Endore, author of Babouk, wrote pamphlets for the
Scottsboro and Sleepy Lagoon cases; and David Alman, author of The
Hourglass, worked for the Civil Rights Congress. Howard Fast has claimed
that he was inspired to write his magnificent Freedom Road after hearing
reports about Nazi atrocities while employed by the Office of War
Information. Such examples suggest that there was a political concern
about expressing political solidarity, but we can't let that account for
the entire artistic process. So far as I know, no particular political
event gave rise to John Sanford's The People from Heaven; it began with
an image of an act of racism against a black woman. Nevertheless, being
a committed anti-racist is certainly a reason why writers such as Lacy
and Fast would have so many characters of colour in their mystery
fiction (in Fast's case, he created a Japanese-American detective). But
Lacy was also married to a black woman and lived in Harlem, so he had
plenty of handy resource materials.

*You're also working hard to ensure that these lost writers don't stay
lost and have got Ira Wolfert's Tucker's People back in print. Tell us
more about this project…*

My effort to rescue 'lost' writers centres on the University of Illinois
Press series, The Radical Novel Reconsidered, although I also have
co-operated in bringing out neglected novels and short story collections
with other presses, and I am on the advisory board for the American
Poetry Recovery Project. So far as the Illinois series goes, I have
tried to stay away from big name authors whose books are just
momentarily out of print, and to emphasise books that were never
reprinted after first publication, or that have never received
recognition as radical novels due to their unconventional content.
(Actually, Tucker's People is the one exception to these criteria, since
it was reprinted as a paperback in the 1950s, and scholar Walter Rideout
praised it highly as a radical novel.) In about half of the cases, I am
personally convinced of the outstanding literary qualities of the book -
The Big Boxcar, The People from Heaven, Burning Valley, The World Above,
The Great Midland - and in other cases I have deferred to the judgements
of the younger scholars writing the introductions, and to other evidence
of merit. There is no special emphasis on including crime/pulp novels,
but such texts are certainly plausible for the list. I myself am working
on a big book - perhaps in the form of several volumes - trying to
re-narrate the story of US left culture by including such non-canonical
works and their authors, as well as by giving a special emphasis to the
1940s/1950s rather than the canonical 1930s.

*As we move into the new millennium, what lessons can we take from the
various authors at the heart of your research?*

Well, it's possible that the new millennium will produce new efforts to
rethink and synthesise past experiences of cultural production, which
will be an excellent development if hitherto lost and neglected texts
(and lives) are included in the mix of materials that are reassessed. If
we are talking about specific 'lost' texts, those in the radical
crime/pulp genre as well as others from the left, I have no doubt that
there is much to be learned about the multifarious ways in which white
supremacism distorts our lives, and about the 'nature of the system',
the dilemmas and costs of 'commitment', historical experiences
(reconstruction, the Haitian revolution, the Harlem rebellion), and so
on. But what we 'get out' of a particular text is significantly
dependent on what we bring to it. And here I can only redouble my
emphasis on the importance of doing bottom-up research - letting the
theorisations flow from what has actually been reproduced, rather than
starting with an impressive theory and then selectively unearthing
features from a wide terrain that seem to ratify the theory. This is by
no means an anti-theory position; it is a development of the theoretical
method of Marx, and, I think, useful for any responsible scholar wishing
to appropriately adapt (so far as it is possible) scientific methods to
the study of culture. Too often the discussion of Marxism and fiction
begins by positing the political themes in the Marxist vision of
revolution, and then looking at literature to see if those themes are
dramatised. What we need, instead, is a view that starts with the
understanding that writers are humans with a certain biography, and who
are for various reasons driven to recreate and imagine experiences
through literature. Then at some point he or she starts to relate to
Marxist ideas and movements along a continuum of possibilities. What is
produced in the end - that is, over a lifetime, which usually involves
important changes in one's relation to Marxism - turns out to include an
extraordinary range of texts. If I am correct - that socialist-type
thinking is, in fact, quite central and not marginal to the actuality of
US cultural history - then we have great reason to be optimistic about
the political future, even in these times of crass materialism, greed
and insensitivity to the structural inequalities of the world economy
(so long as we do our utmost to preserve, extend and understand that
tradition).