[Marxism] The Struggle For Water In Detroit

Waistline2 at aol.com Waistline2 at aol.com
Tue Apr 14 13:04:55 MDT 2009

The Struggle For Water In Detroit

By Jesu Estrada

Jesu: Marion, please give our readers background on  the Detroit water
struggle.

Marian Kramer: People came into the office  during the late nineties with
problems with utilities like lights and gas. We  found out some of them had
their water shut off. If they are the head of the  household, not having
water lays the foundation for having children taken away.  So a family’s water
was off, but parents were keeping it a secret. We found out  that between
2001-2, some 40,700 people were without water.

We held  direct action campaigns against the Detroit Water and Sewage
Department (DWSD)  and finally developed a water affordability plan so no one
would have to pay  more than $40 and so there would be no water shut offs. We
struggled and finally  got the Detroit City Council to pass the Water
Affordability Plan and to make it  a program of the DWSD. We had to expose and call
out certain sectors of the  Detroit City Council who were not supporting
the program. We exposed that the  water department was being privatized.

In 2006 we found out that the  number of homes without water had gone up to
45,000. Victor Mercado, the head of  the DWSD, claimed in 2006 that the
Water Affordability Plan could be implemented  by July of 2006. They never
implemented the program.

They finally implemented a program in September of 2007 but they  changed
the name to the Detroit Residents Water Assistance Program — which is  our
program — but they had gutted it. The program would only service 1,100
people. Our plan would help 45,000 or more. Our program laid the foundation for
no more shut offs.

Today, we have a huge utility committee to insure that  the original water
affordability plan goes through. This time we are going to  the legislative
branch. Now we are getting petitions and going through the  process to get
the program on the ballot. We are going to blanket Detroit so  they
understand the plan and come out to vote.

In Detroit we have four  new people on the City Council. One campaigned on
the water issue, but ended up  switching to the administrative side as soon
as he was elected. There is outrage  about who these city council members
represent. They are tied to the  corporations. Even the corporations are not
paying their water bills. The  working class suffers daily from not having
water. Water is a human right; it  should not be shut off. People should pay
according to their income and the  infrastructure should be upgraded to
create more jobs.

Jesu:  What  can our readers do to help your cause?

Marian: The U.S. Social Forum has  chosen Detroit for its 2010 event. It
would be good if people around the country  get on with us so that we can
discuss water rights on a national level. Also,  send letters to our Gov. J.
Granholm for a moratorium on water shutoffs in the  state of Michigan. Pressure
should also be put on President Obama. Call Michigan  Welfare Rights at
(313) 964-0618 or (313) 964-2500 or visit the website at  http://www.mwro.org/.

Marian Kramer is co-chair of the National Welfare  Rights Union

web. Get the Radio Toolbar!
(http://toolbar.aol.com/aolradio/download.html?ncid=emlcntusdown00000002)