[Marxism] Pirates of the sea, pirates of the air

Lüko Willms lueko.willms at t-online.de
Tue Apr 14 12:59:35 MDT 2009

On Tue, 14 Apr 2009 12:17:55 -0400, S. Artesian wrote:

> Is there any back up for decline in stocks due to international fishing off
> the coast of Somalia?

  What I wonder is this: when the so-called pirates originate from fishermen
pushed aside by industrial fishing by foreign nations, why do we never hear
of a foreign fishing boat or fish factory being captured by the Somalis?

   Do these not operate in the Gulf of Aden, in front of the coast of Puntland,
i.e. the former British colony Somaliland, from where most of the "pirates" are
said to come from? Have they withdrawn because the fishing grounds are
depleted? Are they themselves too heavily armed?

   There is an open question here.

Cheers,
Lüko Willms
Frankfurt, Germany