[Marxism] [progressivecaucuscdp] Fw: How many degrees does it take to screw in a crisis?

Paddy Apling e.c.apling at btinternet.com
Wed Apr 15 06:48:55 MDT 2009

I can't help wondering why there is so much bother on these lists about the prospect of global warming - which is any case seems to have stopped - or even gone into reverse in the last decade.

I have, every day, for many weeks been listening to the excellent "A  Short History of Ireland - 240 episodes", of which I record daily the two episodes broadcast on BBC Radio7 at 0400 to 0415 to listen to over breakfast.

Today's two episodes covered "A Modest Proposal" and "The Year of the Great Frost" (1740), both of which are worthy of consideration by members of these lists.

The first, of course, covered the famous ironical/satirical/horrific pamphlet, written by Dean Swift
http://www.uoregon.edu/~rbear/modest.html - actually in 1729, which he wrote, so incensed was he at the rack-renting of Irish (Catholic) peasants by the mainly English (Protestant) landlords that he suggested that after "eating" so many of their parents it might be more beneficial to fatten Irish children for their table.

The second, however, is more relevant to the topic of the Subject Topic - the year when January saw Siberian conditions in Ireland (and the rest of Britain, incidentally). with lambs being roasted on the frozen Shannon (and bullocks on the Thames !!), cattle being frozen to death across Ireland, with almost complete destruction of the stored potato crop - to be followed by a spring and summer of drought, bringing famine to the country as there where few seed potatoes surviving to plant in the following year.

This was a salutary reminder of the trouble caused by the cold of the Little Ice Age of the 17th and 18th centuries - of the geological fact that climate has always been changing, subject to great differences both up and down over fairly long periods - and both that not only are cold climates much worse than warm, but that, in either case, humankind has had to adapt to the changes and survive.

As a Food Scientist, only too familiar with the vagaries of weather and climate and its effect on food production and supply, I cannot but be amazed at the trust put by so many in the computer predictions not only of the future of climate change, but on the simplistic assumption that every climatic change is due to emissions of CO2.   (This arises from the simplistic assumption that a correlation necessarily means causation - which, in any case, can be interpreted either way - is increase in CO2 since the 18th century the CAUSE of the increase in general temperature by the 21st century? - or is the rise in global temperature the cause of the increase in CO2? - solubility in the vast amount of water covering 2/3rds of the world' surface area will DECREASE with rising temperature).

It is, I think, more geologically sound to regard CO2 as the precursor of the O2 in the earth's atmosphere, resulting since the original development of photosynthesis by green organisms with conversion of CO2 and H20, under the influence of the sun's energy, to carbohydrates, with release of molecular oxygen.   Every horticulturalist is well aware that increase of atmospheric CO2, for example in closed greenhouses, gives rise to increased plant, flower and fruit production (cf. new developments in tomato production at British Sugar's vast refinery at Wissington in Norfolk).

I had always thought that the main criterion for the radical was to severely question the commonly-held opinions of the powers-that-be - but in the last few years it is beginning to look as if I was wrong !!

It is about time there was more critical thinking on this topic.....

Paddy
http://apling.freeservers.com