[Marxism] [progressivecaucuscdp] Fw: How many degrees does it take to screw in a crisis?

Craig Brozefsky craig at red-bean.com
Wed Apr 15 10:44:39 MDT 2009

Les Schaffer <schaffer at optonline.net> writes:

> since you work in this area (i think i learned that from LBO), can you
> summaries Kerry Emanuel's troubles with the simulations? i know he's an
> expert in atmospheric convection, but do you think there is anything to
> his criticisms of the GCM  efforts? I've been meaning to track down his
> disagreements but havent had time. or is his beef only with the
> prediction of hurricane strengths?

Are you talking about this paper?
<ftp://texmex.mit.edu/pub/emanuel/PAPERS/Emanuel_etal_2008.pdf>

It is not an argument against GW in any way, as I read it.  It is a
comment on the predictive models for storm activity and the effect GW
has upon storm frequency and power dissipation.

It's been picked up by "GW Skeptics" and paraded around as if he's
somehow recanting his belief in GW.

I find Real CLimate an excellent resource, and nearly every critique
or argument regarding GW has come up there and been dealt.
<http://www.realclimate.org>

Here is an older article regarding the topic:
Hurricanes and Global Warming - Is There a Connection?
<http://www.realclimate.org/index.php/archives/2005/09/hurricanes-and-global-warming/>

--
Sincerely, Craig Brozefsky              <craig at red-bean.com>