[Marxism] Micromanagement: Medicine and Education

michael perelman michael at ecst.csuchico.edu
Thu Apr 16 22:52:41 MDT 2009

A few months ago, I commented on a New York Times article bemoaning
efforts to micromanage medical care -- medicine by the numbers:
http://michaelperelman.wordpress.com/2008/09/19/two-vignettes-of-regulation-i/

A few days ago, Wall Street Journal published a similar article, arguing
that good medical care requires considerable discretion on the part of
doctors and that micromanaging is destructive.
Groopman, Jerome and Pamela Hartzband. 2009. "Why 'Quality' Care Is
Dangerous: The Growing Number of Rigid Protocols Meant to Guide Doctors
Have Perverse Consequences." Wall Street Journal (8  April): p. A 13.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB123914878625199185.html

Yesterday's New York Times informed its readers that the Obama
administration is going to continue the No Child Left Behind nonsense of
the Bush administration.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/15/education/15educ.html?_r=1&em

While tens of thousands are getting fired and schools are cutting back
vital programs, mandating multiple-choice tests will somehow save public
education.  Of course, the schools that cannot afford teachers who have
to lay out money for tests and to waste valuable teaching time teaching
toward the test.

My own university is asking us to us provide some sort of quantitative
measure of our success in educating students. Because we teach a broader
mix of subjects, we are not faced a cookie cutter approach as extreme as
K-12, education.  The demand is that we devise our own metric.  Are
economics students to demonstrate the quality of their education by
regurgitating market fundamentalism?

Wouldn't it be nice if finance and other forms of business were held to
strict standards?
--
Michael Perelman
Economics Department