[Marxism] thing to see in Barcelona

J.M.P.Cloke at lboro.ac.uk J.M.P.Cloke at lboro.ac.uk
Fri Apr 17 06:16:41 MDT 2009

I lived in Barcelona from 1991-92, working for a firm of
motorbike messengers called 'Halcon' (Falcon).

Although it was the Olympic year there was a good deal
more political activity going on than in the UK at the
time; I can remember taking part in a couple of big
anti-racist rallies headed up by the CNT-FAI, after the
'Boixos Nois' (right-wing skinheads) kicked some Latin
American street sleepers to death. Tens of thousands of
people protested in those rallies.

The most interesting thing, though, was the way that
Barcelona FC seemd to have become an important symbol of
Catalan nationhood and resistance to the madrileno
government; when Barca won the Spanish league in 1992 and
then the European Championships (beat Lazio, I think) the
welcome home was less a football thing than a nationalist
rally.

When the welcome home party started in the Ramblas, it
didn't take long for the crowds to start getting ugly with
the Guardia Civil, the obvious symbol of the hated Madrid
government and Franquismo, and throwing bottles and stuff
at them. the Guardia had plainly been expecting it because
all of a suddent about 30 vanloads of Guardia turned up,
all dressed in riot gear, and started beating the shit out
of everybody, women and girls included, then turned the
water cannon on them - no warning.

Me, I hid under one of the newspaper kiosks in the middle.
Must have been just like the Civil War, I reckon.

Jon Cloke