[Marxism] Chavez gives Galeano book to Obama

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Sat Apr 18 19:04:33 MDT 2009

Dayne Goodwin wrote:
> Hugo Chavez offers Spanish-language book as gift for President Obama
>
> BY Celeste Katz
> April 18th 2009
> Vucci/AP
>
> Venezuela's President Hugo Chavez hands President Barack Obama book,
> 'The Open Veins of Latin America,' by Uruguayan writer Eduardo
> Galeano.

I just found out about this from Michael Yates, the head of MR press
that publishes this book. Chavez gave him the Spanish-language edition
but Michael wants Obama to have the MR English language edition. I
suggested that MR send Bill Ayers a copy that he would then send on to
Obama, thus getting his attention. I told him that if it came directly
from MR, it would end up in the trash bin. Come to think of it, it might
end up there as well if it came from Ayers. Of course, the scary thought
is that Obama might have read it when he was in his 20s. A lot of good
it did him...