[Marxism] meaning of labor time in Capital

Phil Dunn hyl0morphster at googlemail.com
Sat Apr 18 21:31:52 MDT 2009

On Sat, 2009-04-18 at 18:37 -0400, Waistline2 at aol.com wrote:
> In a message dated 4/18/2009 11:38:59 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
> hyl0morphster at googlemail.com writes:
>
> >> Number-crunching aside, I  would say that basis for this homogeneity, or
> specific unity as Aristotle  would say, is the value-form, understood as
> the species of capitalist surplus  labour extraction.<<<
>
> Comment
>
> Why not
>
> "Number-crunching aside, I would say that basis for this homogeneity,  or
> specific unity as Aristotle would say, is the value-form,"
>
> In as much as the value form arises thousands of years in front of
> capitalist commodity production and its extraction of surplus-value.
>
> Yes?
>

> WL.

The key is the supply of labour for surplus extraction as a commodity,
i.e. value-formed.

"It is otherwise with capital. The historical conditions of its
existence are by no means given with the mere circulation of money and
commodities. It can spring into life only when the owner of the means of
production and subsistence meets in the market with the free labourer
selling his labour power. And this one historical condition comprises a
world's history. Capital therefore, announces from its first appearance
a new epoch in the process of social production. Capital, therefore,
announces at the outset a new epoch in the process of social
production."

Capital vol 1 ch 7 about 5 pages in.