[Marxism] Left Forum 2009 journal (Saturday)

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Tue Apr 21 17:41:35 MDT 2009

Nick Fredman wrote:
> The discussion of this blog post mentioned a noisy baby in one session, and
> contained the following comment by Louis:
>
> #7 ³If they can pay $45 to register, surely they can pay for a baby-sitter².
>
> Me:
>
> How do you know they can afford to pay maybe double or more than you did to
> attend? And/or that they¹re not following WHO guidelines that state babies
> should, whenever possible, be exclusively breast-feed for at least 6 months,
> with an only gradual transition to solids up to two years, and may not have
> been able to express enough milk to attend for a day? (I wrote about the
> Chinese milk scandal and the politics of infant feeding at
> http://www.greenleft.org.au/2008/771/39761 )
>
> Babies aren¹t any problem at political or cultural events, unless they¹re
> crying, which they don't actually do most of the time (with considerable
> variation it's true). Most parents are sensible enough to walk around the
> halls etc at those times, as they can¹t take in anything either. Unfortunate
> for you guys if this person wasn¹t.
>
> In any case, if the organisers didn¹t provide on-site childcare that was
> cheap (i.e heavily subsidised by general conference costs), then you should
> direct your complaint to them.

I responded to Nick already on my blog:

I mistakenly used the word “baby” in my comment above. The kid in
question was playing cards with her mother, so I don’t think that breast
feeding was an issue. And furthermore, I think it is completely
disrespectful to bring kids or babies to events that they can disrupt.
The SWP, for all its sins, used to have free day care at Oberlin and it
is a shame that the Left Forum does not follow suit. I remember my
mother dragging me along to adult meetings when I was 5 years old and
hating every minute of it.