[Marxism] Ahmadinejad and the UN summit

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Wed Apr 22 06:59:36 MDT 2009

http://www.iranian.com/main/node/62289
Ahmadinejad and the UN Summit
by Khodadad Rezakhani
21-Apr-2009

The walk out of the representatives of the France, Great Britain, and
the previously announced boycott of Ahmadinejad’s talk in the Geneva
anti-Racism conference on 20 April 2009 has been on top of the news
during the last two days. Ahmadinejad apparently called Israel a racist
regime and suggested that by sending European and American immigrants to
Palestine, the European powers had tried to create a racist power in the
Near East. This caused the aforementioned walk-out of the
representatives of European powers and their disgust at Ahmadinejad’s
words, going as far as M. Nicholas Sarkozy, the French president,
suggesting that Ahmadinejad should be stopped.

I am no fan of Ahmadinejad, nor am I a fan of people who disrupt
important conferences to advance political agendas. However, it made me
wonder how it was that only representatives of those powers who have a
track record of racism were the ones who walked out or boycotted the
conference. Germany, Italy, Australia, the Netherlands, USA and Canada
did not even go to the conference, alongside Israel, while France and
Britain walked out. Now, just think of the countries that come to mind
when thinking of racism in the past 200 years and see how many of the
above names you encounter!

It has often been pointed out that racism is an essentially Western
problem. Numerous works by authors such as Eric Wolf, James Blaut, Andre
Gunder Frank, Jack Goody, and many others have pointed out that racism
as we know it, the idea that a group is superior to another simply
because of their skin colour or national origin, is a problem born out
of 18th and 19th century European colonialism. The process is quite
simple: European economy expanded exponentially as result of the age of
discovery, allowing also for a scientific revolution. These achievements
drove Europeans, who already lived in quite territorially limited and
rather isolated western edge of the Eurasian landmass, to contemplate on
what had made them exceptional (hence the overused term Western
Exceptionalism). A feeling of superiority, a sense of uniqueness of
these achievements then became prominent, necessitating “research” into
why other populations never achieved such success (hence the birth of
Anthropology as a field). Of course, one of the easiest, and sadly most
pervasive, conclusions was the idea that Europeans are and have always
been intellectually superior to others, that there essentially is
something exceptional and ingenious in the European race. The most
prominent outcomes of this were American slavery and the Holocaust
catastrophe.

So, at least as we know it, racism is a European phenomenon, limited and
defined by the context of Europe and its extensions in Americas and
beyond. However, Europeans have also been excellent in suggesting that
their concerns are the concerns of the rest of the world as well. Marx
studied European economic history and then wrote disastrous recipes for
the rest of the world based on criteria developed from the European
models. The essentially European wars of 1914-1917 and 1938-1945 are
called “World” Wars. When one talks about the Ancient or Classical or
Medieval “World”, one is essentially talking about European phenomena.
We are so used to this that we even teach a European version of history
in schools outside Europe. Open any history book even in India and look
at the amount of space dedicated to Greece and Rome!

So, we get back to my point. Racism is a phenomenon born out of the
European experience. The rest of the world has suffered many things,
from religious wars to draughts and starvations. Human rights abuses of
all kinds have existed, but the closer you look, the less you find these
to have been based on skin colour and race. Right now, many of my
readers would tell me that I am being biased, since we have evidence
that Middle Easterners took black Africans as slaves. True, one easily
thinks of this as an example of racism and equates it with the Americas
in the 18th century. But you would be entertained to know that the
Arabic-Persian word for slave in the medieval Middle East was Saqlāb,
coming from Slav, since most slaves in the Middle East were imported
from not Africa, but Russia! So, if we manage to separate slavery from
racism (which is hard for many people since the American context is so
prominent in everyone’s mind) we realize that yes, slavery existed, but
it was not race based!

So, if we accept that this problem is a European one, we should then try
to see it from a non-European point of view. For whatever reason, I
promise it is not because non-Europeans were more open minded, many
Middle Easterners have been quite used to living with people of other
colours and appearances. When racism comes along, and it is presented
purely in term of skin colour and “race” per se, the Middle Easterners
think of their own experiences. The fact is, despite all discrimination
against Turks in Iran, against Kurds in Iraq and Turkey, against
Armenians in Turkey, against Berbers in North Africa, or against god
knows whomever around the Middle East, these discriminated people seldom
look any different from the discriminators.

However, in Israel, whether we like it or not, the majority of the
Jewish population is markedly non-Middle Eastern. Whatever you do,
Shimon Perez and Bibi Natanyahou do not look Middle Eastern. David ben
Gurion was born David Grün and Golda Meier had blue eyes. They do look
different, they have European last names, they have made cities that
look more like Nice and Rome than Baghdad or Damascus. Yes, they are
progressive and have done an amazing job making the tiny land of Israel
fertile, but it is undeniable that they are not Middle Eastern. They
have come to the Middle East, and as a historian I am glad that they
have, but they are living a European life, naturally, since their
ancestors were from Prague and Berlin and Vienna and Paris.

Muslims who go to Paris and London and Vienna and create “Muslim
Ghettos” are often discriminated against because they are changing the
face of the cities, distorting the Classical characteristics of the
cities, making it into “Eurabia” as many European intellectuals like
Oriana Fallaci suggested (without being called racists, amazingly!!).
They are often told to either become Austrian/German/Swiss/English/
French by removing their veils and not acting like Muslims or are told
to “go home if you don’t want to live like us.” But the European
immigrants to the Middle East have done the same thing, changing the
face of Middle Eastern cities and living like Europeans and acting like
Europeans, making it into Eurisrael. So, from the Middle Eastern point
of view, they are as alien as Muslims are in Berlin. Of course, since
they have had the economic upper hand, no one can discriminate against
them (although Muhammad al-Fayad still does not get the respect that one
expects the owner of Harrod’s to get, nor is he given the citizenship of
the land), but they are seen as a foreign population indeed.

This leads me to re-think the whole idea of the Conference on
Anti-Racism in Geneva. What was there to be discussed? If the agenda was
dictated by Europeans and based on European issues, then why are all the
other people there? Why were the rest of the attendants staying put and
applauding for what Bernard Kutchner [this must be a reference to the
awful Bernard Kouchner] called “vile”? Why was it that when charges were
brought against exactly those European powers who have a track record of
racism that the powers left? On the other hand, we notice that issues
such as human trafficking and religious discrimination were to be
discussed in this conference. Neither one really have anything to do
with racism, rather general forms of discrimination, based on religion
(as the name suggests) and disregard for human condition (many
prostitutes in Europe are actually from racially similar eastern
European countries, so the problem is barely a race issue). So, if one
is going to make the conference on anti-racism into a conference against
all sorts of discrimination (in which case Feminist issues and similar
should have also been present), then a speech about Israeli policies
against the non-Israeli population of the country is also quite valid.
This is besides the fact that it is always polite to listen to what
everyone, including your enemies, say.