[Marxism] Eating is not over-consumption

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Thu Apr 23 10:03:01 MDT 2009

Barry Brooks wrote:
> Consuming what we need is never over-consumption, but expanding
> production to produce jobs is requires wasted consumption. Eating is not
> over-consumption unless one is very fat. Yes, poor people consume too
> little. We should increase their consumption, but how?
>
> Real conservation is something that would end the need to waste. Before
> we can talk about conservation we must understanding the difference
> between a stock of wealth and a flow of resources.
>
> http://www.sd-commission.org.uk/publications/downloads/Herman_Daly_thinkpiece.pdf

I think it is best for Marxists to differentiate themselves strongly
from Herman Daly even though he does provide useful empirical data on
the environmental crisis. He is a neo-Malthusian who has an awful
position on immigration:

The Sierra Club is holding a member referendum on one of the most
potentially divisive issues faced by the environmental movement in
years. The issue is what position, if any, one of America's largest and
most influential environmental organizations should take on immigration.

In 1996, Sierra Club members adopted a resolution saying the
organization would take no positions on immigration levels or policies.
However, a successful petition drive followed, mounted by those who want
the Sierra Club to advocate for US population control through
immigration restrictions. The debate has been divisive and bitter, with
the controversy spilling out into the pages of The New York Times, The
International Herald Tribune, and numerous other newspapers.

Those who want the Sierra Club to endorse restrictions on immigration –
those favoring “Alternative A” – include economist Herman Daly,
Worldwatch Institute president Lester Brown, and former Sierra Club
associate executive director Brock Evans. They argue that the
organization needs to advocate rapid stabilization of the US population,
both through lowering fertility rates and through restricting
immigration. In a fact sheet sent to Club members and available on the
Sierra Club Web page, Alternative A proponents cite studies that link a
predicted US population boom and its ensuing environmental degradation
to immigrants and their offspring: “The US will add 125 million people
in the next 40 years if current birth and immigration rates are not
changed. The impact of this many Americans on US and global ecosystems
will be severe.”

full: http://www.yesmagazine.com/article.asp?id=831