[Marxism] Eating is not over-consumption

Mark Lause markalause at gmail.com
Thu Apr 23 18:50:42 MDT 2009

S. Artesian <sartesian at earthlink.net> wrote:

> This notion of "fishing out the oceans without capitalism" is the modern
> version of "the tragedy of the commons."  The latter never happened, the
> former NEED not happen.  Necessity is the determining factor.  It is the
> inherent, functional/dis-functional necessity of capitalism to deplete,
> destroy, create scarcity in the midst of overproduction.

Wow!  Wouldn't the universe be easier if we just never worried about
things that "never happened"--an all out nuclear exchange among the
great powers, biological weapons getting out of control, or a pandemic
turned loose in this contemporary global village.

As to whether or not there's any single "determining factor"--and to
what "necessity" actually means--are other considerations.  Will the
state wither on its own after the abolition of capitalism?  Will
racism disappear when the workers come to power?  Will the equality of
women happen with the abolition of capitalism?  The imbalance of power
and wealth between the western countries and the rest of the planet?

Certainly many in the Marxist traditions have always argued that these
things would happen with the elimination of capitalism.  I suspect
that most of us now tend to think that it will take some conscious
decisions to move civilization in such directions.

There is no reason to think that environmental questions will be any different.

ML