[Marxism] Eating is not over-consumption

Mark Lause markalause at gmail.com
Fri Apr 24 07:37:30 MDT 2009

Ah, I see.  S. Artesian wrote: "Necessity is the determining factor.
It is the inherent, functional/dis-functional necessity of capitalism
to deplete,destroy, create scarcity in the midst of overproduction."

In the context of the discussion, I must have mistakenly understood
this to suggest a "determining factor," the elimination of which would
put an end to the capitalist war on the natural world.  Sorry if I
mistook this, and am pleased to know that S. Artesian and I are in
agreement in our skepticism about such a "determining factor."

A fundamental trick of capitalism and its ideological arsenal is to
recast what it does as "necessity."  Capitalist societies take
differing tolls on the environment because the "determining
factor"--the "necessity" isn't set in stone.  Insofar as we fit it
into formula, it is a mathematical unknown.  Conversely, though the
abolition of capitalism would open the possibility for a different set
of relations with the natural world, it would not neccessitate or
determine anything.

S. Artesian <sartesian at earthlink.net> wrote:

> If Mr. Lause would take the time to examine the recent history of the
> Pacific tuna fishing fleet,  he might just grasp the roots of the compulsion
> that drive overfishing and depletion, but perhaps I'm being too charitable.

I appreciate S. Artesian's charity, but anyone should understand that
each and every problem we face under capitalism, we are facing under
capitalism.

ML