[Marxism] Eating is not over-consumption

Mark Lause markalause at gmail.com
Fri Apr 24 09:14:30 MDT 2009

Ah, now the Hegel-haggle....    If Marxism represents a convergence of
dialectics and materialism, there's nothing about declaring yourself a
Marxist that means you've smoothly melded these two together.  Every
specific component of these kinds of formulas are like an unknown
factor in a math problem.  What "necessity" means, for example, varies
from one capitalist society to the other.  More than this, of course,
the Soviet Union embraced a nuclear industry that was demonstrably
unsafe.  It, too, pleaded "necessity."

So what conclusions do we draw from this?  That these abstract
concepts--however central to Marxism--can be used as meaningless
abstractions unconnected to the material world.  In and of themselves,
such concepts tell us very little.

Unless we feel obligated to pretend that we have all the answers, the
caveat was worth raising....

ML