[Marxism] Eating is not over-consumption

S. Artesian sartesian at earthlink.net
Fri Apr 24 23:16:58 MDT 2009

That was no capitalist calculation based on accumulation.  The Soviets did
not grow the cotton in Uzbekistan for the purpose of accumulating capital
through the appropriation of exchange value.  That would be the typically
capitalist calculation-- i.e.  I can make a profit from growing this cotton,
reproduce the original investment on a larger scale, aggrandize more suprlus
labor and generate an even greater propfit so that I can accumulate capital
and reproduce the investment again on a larger scale.............

The Soviet bureaurcracy was growing the cotton to avoid expending hard
currency on imported cotton, thus increasing its dependence on the world
market.  Doesn't mean the Soviet bureaucracy handled the farming
intelligently, or that it even properly gauged the world markets and the
costs of doing business one way vs. the other-- but it, the decision, was
not determined by the need to reproduce capital vs. the need for cotton.