[Marxism] SOS appeal from Sri Lanka's killing fields

Stuart Munckton stuartmunckton at gmail.com
Sun Apr 26 23:46:06 MDT 2009

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE on 27 April 2009 1.00 PM -
http://fastuntoaction.wordpress.com/

Tamil Diaspora Receive SOS Letter from Aid Agency in Conflict Zone;
Sri Lankan Government Begins Major Military Onslaught

Tamil Diaspora have received a letter from the Tamils Rehabilitation
Organisation's Head Office in the safe zone in North Sri Lanka, appealing to
the world's super powers to do what was in their power to prevent the
annihilation of a people.

"You are our only hope," begins the letter written to UN, USA, India, EU,
UK, Russia and China.

"On behalf of over 160,000 civilians still in the area, we are making this
final appeal to the international community to stop the slaughter of Tamil
civilians in the so-called safe zone. As we write this appeal there is a
build up of Sri Lanka armed forces in the areas surrounding the so-called
safe zone and an offensive via land, sea, and air is only a few hours away,"
it reads.

The Tamils Rehabilitation Organisation is recognised by the Australian
Council for International Development.

Latest reports from the conflict zone state the Sri Lankan Army has began
its military onslaught.

Full text of the appeal by Lawrence Christy, the head of field office of the
TRO, follows:

President Barack Obama (USA)
President Dmitry Medvedev (Russia)
President Hu Jintao (China)
President Nicolas Sarkozy (France)
Prime Minister Gordon Brown (UK)
Prime Minister Dr. Manmohan Singh (India)
Secretary General Ban Ki-moon (UN)

An Open Letter to the Members of the Security Council, the United Nations
and the International Community:

You are our only hope.

On behalf of over 160,000 civilians still in the area, we are making this
final appeal to the the international community to stop the slaughter of
Tamil civilians in the so-called `safe zone'.

As we write this appeal there is a build up of Sri Lanka Armed Forces in the
areas surrounding the so-called `safe zone' and an offensive via land, sea,
and air is only a few hours away.

On Sunday 26 April, the Sri Lanka Air Force bombed the Valiaganmadam
village, the only village with sea access, 39 times and on Saturday 25 April
there were at least 25 attacks which killed and injured hundreds.

Based on their previous experiences over the past three months TRO officials
in the `safe zone' have predicted that if the expected offensive goes
forward there will be more than 10,000 casualties as the area is densely
populated and there is no cover from bombs, shells, and bullets.

The UN, US, India, EU, UK, Russia and China must all put pressure on the
Government of Sri Lanka to immediately stop all military attacks and enter
into an immediate, UN monitored cease fire.

Lawrence Christy
Head of Field Office
`safe zoneʼ
Mullivaikal, Mullaitivu

Media Contacts:
Dr Sam Pari – 0433 428 967

--
"The free market is perfectly natural... do you think I am some kind of
dummy?" — Jarvis Cocker

"The basis of optimism is sheer terror" — Oscar Wilde