[Marxism] The Great Swine Flu [non-]Epidemic of 1976

John johnedmundson at paradise.net.nz
Tue Apr 28 16:45:11 MDT 2009

On Tue, 2009-04-28 at 17:48 -0400, Louis Proyect wrote:
> Paul Flewers wrote:
> > Speaking of the Füredi-ites, what's the betting that this week's Spiked
> > e-mail will categorically declare that this pig flu outbreak is a bit of
> > local difficulty, nothing to worry about, and that we are all scaring
> > ourselves needlessly.
>
> Oh please, that's like betting that Brazil will beat Andorra in
> football. Betting against Spiked is like betting that Andorra would win.

At risk of suffering unanimous condemnation over this I'd have to point
out that only one person (I think) outside Mexico has died of this swine
flu. Here in New Zealand, there have been 11 cases confirmed overnight
(NZ time). They came back from a school Spanish trip from Mexico on
Saturday morning (25th April) and are clamouring to be allowed back to
school. Teenagers demanding to be allowed back to school! This is
virtually unheard of in New Zealand. But these kids (and their teacher)
described mild flu symptoms all of which have passed. In contrast, a
woman in Mexico complained that it took three days after her husband
died before a health worker came to visit her. She had pigs living right
outside her house.

In other words my (not very well informed) opinion is that the people
who'll die from this will be poor. Those of us in wealthy countries,
with good diets and reasonable healthcare systems will scarcely notice
this flu. And I say this in the knowledge that my mother (in her 70s but
in good health) has been exposed to someone who was on that flight, so
in theory I may have been exposed to the swine flu myself.

In our media they've been talking about comparisons with 1918. I mean
for Christ's sake, 1918???
Cheers,
John