[Marxism] Abraham Foxman pushed UC-Santa Barbara to investigate professor

Cesar "El Che" Rodriguez elche48 at berkeley.edu
Wed Apr 29 12:15:24 MDT 2009

Hello,

I wanted to share this with everyone on this list serve. When I first
sent out a call to support Professor William I. Robinson and the
Committee to Defend Academic Freedom, a few folks responded openly
with concerns about indoctrination. This is an understandable concern
- that a professor may use his position of authority over a vulnerable
student population to present only one perspective on a complicated
issue - and certainly this has happened (I'm certain many a student
from working-class community of color can attest to being silenced,
even belittled, by 'educators'). However, Professor Robinson runs his
classroom in a way that is very reflexive and open for dialogue, as he
not only fields any and every question with patience and diligent
the material he presents them).

Thus, the concern in regards to indoctrination is unfounded as it
regards Prof. Robinson. Rather, the real nexus of this problem is
forces outside of the university that are attempting to manipulate and
dictate what can be discussed in the classroom. Thus, this is an issue
of academic freedom, as outside forces are trying to police can can or
cannot be said in the university. This is a problem, because (even
though we may have a plethora of necessary criticisms of the
university, as well as the exclusionary structures and elitism
associated with our current system of higher learning)  the university
should be a place for open dialogue where informed thinkers use
debate, backed by evidence, to produce the best knowledge available.
Instead, these outside forces are threatening to prevent the
university from becoming a space where people can debate openly and
freely.

Thus, we see here, in this press release, that Abraham Foxman, the
National Director of the Anti-Defamation League, called a meeting with
extremely high level university administrators and a select number of
faculty members in order to pressure the university to investigate
Professor Robinson, who merely forwarded an email that compared how
the State of Israel was abusing Palestinians with how Nazi Germany
treated Jewish people to students in his globalization course.
Professor Robinson did not create this email, but merely forwarded it,
and nor is it the first nor the only instance where actions by the
State of Israel have been critically compared to state fascism.

Unfortunately, this is an incident where a criticism of a government,
coming from a university professor, has been manipulated by an outside
force into a charge of 'anti-semitism'. Mind you, a criticism of a
government should not be confused with racism! Rather, this is an
instance of outside forces attempting to police critical thought that
may take place at the university.

Thank you,

che

Begin forwarded message: