[Marxism] Volt temp agency asks employees to vote for pay cut

Jeffrey Thomas Piercy mqduck at sonic.net
Sun Mar 1 21:31:53 MST 2009

Volt is (apparently) the largest provider of temporary workers to
Microsoft. They sent out a memo to their employees that basically
consists of the following with lots of bullshit before and after:

----
We have evaluated all pay rates for our Microsoft agency temporary
workers and have concluded that we will be asking each of you to share
in these measures by accepting a 10% reduction in your pay rate. [...]
this is mandatory in order to continue your assignment at Microsoft and
to respond to this economic environment.

We want to support you in continuing your assignment at Microsoft and
respectfully ask that you respond by going to the upper left hand corner
of this email under the "Vote" response option and select, "Accept" by
close of business Tuesday, March 3, 2009. By accepting you agree to the
pay adjustment in your pay rate. Volt has prepared a formal written
amendment to your employment agreement for your signature and will
execute this amendment in your scheduled meeting.
----

The part of me that lacks any sense of ethics or justice really loves
this. It's a beautiful little psychological game.

--
Human: An animal so lost in loathing contemplation of what it thinks it
is as to overlook what it ought to be.