[Marxism] Betancourt's halo [SIC] under spotlight

Ruthless Critic of All that Exists ok.president+nbsy at gmail.com
Sun Mar 1 23:03:12 MST 2009

On Sun, Mar 1, 2009 at 1:14 PM,  <Jscotlive at aol.com> wrote:

> also find it unconscionable for Marxists living in the comfort of the West,
> risking nothing, judging those who are struggling on the front lines against
> imperialism.
>
> They do not require our approval. On the contrary, it is we who require
> theirs for what we do and say in solidarity.

JScotlive's West-o-centrism is showing. Notice how (s)he assumes that
"we" (i.e. the denizens of Marxmail) are all "living in the comfort of
the West".

JScotlive, news for you: Marxmail is an *international* mailing list,
with readers from many countries, including Marxists living in
countries in the non-West.

And in any case, who has or has not the right to criticize should not
depend on one's geographical location. Truth is objective, and, as
someone pointed out already, the bedrock of Marxism is that truth can
be apprehended. Critique is a means of approaching truth. Truth does
not vary depending on geographical location of the truth seeker. By
insinuating that it does, JScotlive smuggles postmodernist relativism
into Marxism via the back door.

Ironically, JScotlive's insistence on geographical positionality as
the validator of the right to critique, is itself a moralistic
insistence -- ironic because JScotlive is quick to diagnose moralism
in others.