[Marxism] China's holdings of US Debt

Ruthless Critic of All that Exists ok.president+nbsy at gmail.com
Mon Mar 2 23:05:31 MST 2009

On Tue, Mar 3, 2009 at 12:47 AM, michael a. lebowitz <mlebowit at sfu.ca> wrote:

>    I haven't been able to follow this discussion closely. Have the
> holders of US Debt in China been identified? Do we know what portion was
> purchased by Chinese state banks as part of state policy, what portion
> is held  for them by capitalist exporters and, of the latter, what
> portion belongs to non-Chinese multinationals?

Bank of China may hold huge US debt
(China Daily/Agencies)
Updated: 2008-07-17 09:20
Comments(0) PrintMail

Bank of China Ltd may own about $20 billion of debt issued by Fannie
Mae and Freddie Mac, representing two-thirds of total holdings among
the six largest Chinese banks, according to CLSA Ltd.

The Freddie Mac and Fannie Mae investments would amount to about 2.6
percent of total assets at Bank of China, the nation's third-biggest,
CLSA analysts said yesterday in a note to clients. That compares with
0.09 percent at larger Industrial and Commercial Bank of China Ltd
(ICBC), they said.

Full: <http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/bizchina/2008-07/17/content_6854442.htm>