[Marxism] Afghanistan

Ruthless Critic of All that Exists ok.president+nbsy at gmail.com
Tue Mar 3 08:07:39 MST 2009

On Tue, Mar 3, 2009 at 9:59 AM,  <Jscotlive at aol.com> wrote:

> Ruthless:
>
> NY Times reports today:
>
> Idea of Afghan Women’s Rights Starts Taking  Hold
> By KIRK SEMPLE
> Published: March 2, 2009
>
> Until only a few years  ago, the Afghan police would probably have
> rewarded Mariam for her courage by  throwing her in jail — traditional
> mores forbid women to be alone on the  street — or returning her to her
> husband.
>
> Reply:
>
> So what are we saying now - that the invasion of Afghanistan in  service to
> US imperialism is bearing fruit?

Unless the report contains lies, it seems that the lot of women in
Afghanistan is improving (somewhat) compared to their situation a few
years ago.

I said nothing more, and nothing less, than the above sentence.

Do you have any evidence that the lot of Afghan women, by and large,
is deteriorating?

Marxists need to begin with empirical reality as a starting point.