[Marxism] Just received from the war preacher

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Tue Mar 3 13:20:00 MST 2009

This statement was recently drafted by the president of Bard College in
order to answer inquiries in regard to Joel Kovel. Since my professional
role in the evaluation prevents me from referring to its specifics, a
fact that Joel Kovel knew when he defamed me, I use it to reply to
inquiries, as well.

Professor Kovel was not fired, and most certainly not for his political
views, which do not strike us at Bard as novel. In consultation with
faculty, Bard elected not to renew Professor Kovel’s contract because,
like all colleges, it faces severe fiscal constraints and is doing
everything it can to preserve the employment of its full-time faculty.
After fifteen years of serving as the full-time occupant of a
non-tenured endowed chair, he voluntarily assumed part-time status in
2004. At that time he received a five-year contract, with the
understanding that after those five years the college reserved the right
to renew his position on a year-to-year basis. He knew it was possible
that his position might not be renewed after the 2008-2009 academic
year. Professor Kovel enjoyed a fine and productive career at Bard for
more than twenty years. We are sorry for and astonished at his
allegations, which have no basis in fact.

Bard recently became the first American institution of higher education
to collaborate in a dual-degree program with a Palestinian university.
If you would like to read about our partnership with Al-Quds in Abu Dis,
please see:
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/15/world/middleeast/15quds.html. Our goal
is to improve the Palestinian education system.

–

Bruce Chilton
Bernard Iddings Bell Professor of Religion
Bard College
Annandale, New York 12504
telephone: 845 758 7335
fax: 845 758 7628