[Marxism] Why the Red Army Faction Matters

kersplebedeb info at kersplebedeb.com
Wed Mar 4 15:33:11 MST 2009

i find it surprising that anyone could think of getting involved in
radical politics without wanting to be familiar with military and
paramilitary realities - i mean take a look at Marxmail threads, and
you'll see these are often discussed. Military theory does not mean
military technique - i.e. understanding the effects (political and
otherwise) of a military or paramilitary event doesn't require knowing
how to participate in said events. And being familiar with something
does not mean engaging in it - but making a fetish out of one's
unfamiliarity with military science just strikes me as weird.

As Ward Churchill put it in his back-cover blurb on the book we're
discussing, the point of studying the RAF is not only to set the
historical record straight, but also to know why these leftists did what
they did, and to draw consequent lessons from their experience. There is
no assumption that these lessons will lead in mimicry, in fact that is
very far from the argument put forward.

As to the Clausewitz quote, the point is not that one should get
military training or exercise more often (though that may not be a bad
idea), but that one should learn about things prior to "the time being
ripe". If you wait until "the time is ripe" to learn about something,
then you're bound to be unprepared, to become demoralized, to make
unnecessary errors. As the RAF put it in their 1972 document Serve the
People: "We believe that the guerilla will develop, will gain a
foothold, that the development of the class struggle will itself
establish the idea of armed struggle only if there is already an
organization in existence conducting guerilla warfare, an organization
that is not easily demoralized, that does not simply lie down and give up."

Of course, some people's politics seems based on the assumption that the
time never will be ripe. Oh well...