[Marxism] They don't make Republicans like they used to

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Wed Mar 4 18:55:40 MST 2009

Doug posted this today on LBO-Talk:

http://www.eisenhowermemorial.org/presidential-papers/first-term/documents/1147.cfm

Should any political party attempt to abolish social security,
unemployment insurance, and eliminate labor laws and farm programs, you
would not hear of that party again in our political history. There is a
tiny splinter group, of course, that believes you can do these things.
Among them are H. L. Hunt (you possibly know his background), a few
other Texas oil millionaires, and an occasional politician or business
man from other areas. Their number is negligible and they are stupid.

---

This I came across in the conclusion to David Gibbs's soon to be
published book on Yugoslavia that I will be reviewing:

http://www.edchange.org/multicultural/speeches/ike_chance_for_peace.html

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired
signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not
fed, those who are cold and are not clothed.

This world in arms is not spending money alone.

It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists,
the hopes of its children.

The cost of one modern heavy bomber is this: a modern brick school in
more than 30 cities.

It is two electric power plants, each serving a town of 60,000
population. It is two fine, fully equipped hospitals.

It is some fifty miles of concrete pavement.

We pay for a single fighter plane with a half million bushels of wheat.

We pay for a single destroyer with new homes that could have housed more
than 8,000 people.