[Marxism] Zizek interview in the FT

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Sat Mar 7 08:38:11 MST 2009

Ruthless Critic of All that Exists wrote:
> This is unfair...he is a cultural theorist, so he focuses on culture.
> Are you also going to criticize Gindin or Panitch on the basis that
> they "only talk about economics"?

I agree that he is a cultural theorist, but the FT refers to him
repeatedly as a Marxist and that is the reputation he enjoys.

> The question here is: thus culture play a role? Since at least
> Gramsci, Marxists have believed that yes, it does.

As somebody who reviews a movie a week, I can say that culture does play
a role. But I also write about socio-economic forces such as, for
example, the role of slavery in the origins of capitalism. Zizek is
strictly a lightweight on such matters.

> I don't think Zizek ever said that *only* culture matters. Where is he
> saying that in the above passage?

Look, if you think that the rise of Stalin was a family values response
to Bolshevik sexual experimentation, be my guest.