[Marxism] Any good articles on PTSD?

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Tue Mar 10 12:39:10 MDT 2009

Shacht at aol.com wrote:
> I don't know if you would call it a Marxist perspective, but take a look at
> John Huston's "Let There Be Light," a documentary of sorts commissioned and
> then  suppressed by the Department of War in 1946. You can get a good deal of
> information about that film and its history from the web. It was my first
> encounter with PTSD once called combat fatigue and before that shell shock. It  is
> also a good piece on political and social history in its  context.

Shell shock! I haven't heard that term since the early 50s. My dad had a
fruit store in Woodridge, NY, a resort village in the Catskills that
catered to NY Jews. There was a guy, can't remember his name, who used
to sell magazine subscriptions in the summer. He always seemed odder to
adults than he did to an 8 year old like me but my mom always said that
he was suffering from "shell shock" from his time in the army. Also, in
terms of PTSD in the movies, "Waltz with Bashir" seems to be all about
that even though the movie is apparently fairly weak on the question of
Palestinian rights.